Question about my dead laptop and XP

So my laptop went and died- sort of. It lacks a bootable drive it seems. (the Hard drive is fried?) So, I’m going to take it to MicroCenter to get fixed, if they need to install another hard drive, will I need to purchase a new copy of XP? I bought the laptop with a copy of XP and still have the registration sticker on the bottom of it. Can I just get a redo? (another copy of XP from Microsoft?) Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

I have emailed the manfacturer, they suggested “reseating” the drive- did so; to no avail…

You can reuse your Windows XP media and license.

If you got the OS just on the notebook and did not receive any install CDs your best bet is to ask the manufacturer if they will provide you with a replacement set of install disks - I know Compaq does this for a small fee ($ 20 or so).

What others said about reusing your existing license is correct. However, let me warn you that fixing a laptop can cost some serious money. I just sent my wife’s in to be fixed and it cost over $700 to fix what seemed to be a minor problem. The laptop only cost $900 dollars to begin with. The only reason that we paid to get it fixed was that it was a work computer that had valuable data on it.

The reason that I bring this up is that you may get a very high quote to fix your existing computer. If the hard drive really is dead then you obviously don’t have any important data left. If that happens, you may be better off just buying a new one. Some of them are not that expensive.

I am not saying that this is the case. It probably isn’t but I just wanted to let you know that you can just walk away and buy another one if it makes more sense. One of my wife’s relatives told me that she had her 3 year old laptop fixed for $500 :smack:

It may not be the case but probably is :slight_smile:

It’ll be cheaper in most cases to get a second-hand laptop of the same model and swap the hard drives as opposed to repairing it.

If it is just the hard drive, you can get laptop drives for a little under $70 (20 GB). Here’s a listing of all the drives available at one vendor: Newegg: Laptop drives . You might be able to find an even better deal if you shop around. Those drives should be compatible with any reasonably modern computer, you don’t need to find an exact duplicate laptop to scavenge from (unless you happen to find a great bargain). Also, you’d have the option of upgrading your storage capacity at the same time if you buy a new drive.

Laptop drives are usually pretty easy to install, so I can’t see a decent shop charging that much to put a new one in. Assuming that is all that is wrong, it shouldn’t be too expensive to fix. You might also consider installing it yourself, depending on your level of comfort with working on a computer.