Question about traffic ticket being handled at misdemeanor pre-trial in NYS

For the record, I’m not looking for legal advice, just an understanding of courtroom procedure.

I have a misdemeanor pretrial tonight at a town court in NYS wherein the speeding ticket that accompanied the misdemeanor charge (I was speeding when I didn’t realize my license was suspended) will apparently also be dealt with. Should I expect the arresting officer to be present should I want to question him about the speeding ticket? If, for whatever reason, I don’t agree to a plea, will the ticket still be dealt with then and there or will a separate date be set for the traffic infraction? Thanks for your help.

In my court, officers typically do not attend pretrials or arraignments. The prosecutor should have a copy of the ticket and the police report, if any, though. If you do not agree to the plea bargain which the prosecutor suggests (and she may not offer any), then the case will probably be set for trial on another day.

I understand that if I don’t agree to a plea on the misdemeanor, that trial will be set for another day, but will the traffic infraction also be set for another day or dealt with tonight? In other words would tonight be considered the pretrial for the misdemeanor and the trial for the infraction since the two aren’t really related?

In my court, all pending charges for the same individual defendant are typically set for trial on the same later date if no plea agreement is reached on any of them, depending upon availability of the officer(s).

IANAL but… makes sense. If the same officer wrote the charges for the same event (one traffic stop) why take the chance that he might have to be called to testify twice at two different trials about essentially the same sequence of events?

I assume if you want to just pay the fine, they can probably handle that there or point you to the “pay me now by mail” system? If you want to contest everything or the speeding ticket, they take you to trial on all the charges in one go.

Do the 6th amendment protections for a speedy trial come into play here? IIRC they would not for a minor infraction like speeding, but since there’s a misdemeanor involved does it change the situation?

In Ohio, yes. Every state is different, though - the U.S. Supreme Court left it to the states to decide what the appropriate speedy-trial period would be. You may be asked to sign a waiver.