question about vomit...

I’m sure that I already know the answer to this question, but I was just wondering if when you take a pill and vomit about ten or fifteen minutes after taking said pill, you ralph the pill too or has it already been absorbed or whatever. This question has been plaguing me for a long time, and my sanity is on the line here. Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

Most likely, the pill comes up too. Even if it is fast-dissolving, it won’t have had time enough to absorb. Doctors will usually tell you not to begin taking medication, such as antibiotics until vomiting and/or diarrhea stops for this very reason.

If you have to take any medications on a regular basis that are extended release, you should see your doctor if you get ill and experience vomiting and/or diarrhea.

I’m a diabetic on oral medications and I faced this problem a couple months ago when I was sick with a stomach flu. For 3 days I couldn’t keep anything down or in and came to the realization that it included my meds also when my glucose levels remained high during that period.

It depends on the medication, as well. Many drugs are engineered so that they do not dissolve in the acidic environment of the stomach. Instead, they dissolve in the more basic environment of the intestines, where they can be better absorbed.

If it’s birth control - you are NOT safe. Ditto if you have a bad case of diarrhoea, it can go straight through without enough being properly absorbed.