Question for Atlanta Area Dopers

I’m going to a convention in Atlanta in a few weeks. To save a couple bucks, I’d like to stay in a Motel-6 or whatever in the surrounding area and drive in and out for the 3 days.

Can somebody recommend a decent town/motel/whatever?

The main thing is, I want to avoid the “no-tell motel” if ya know what I mean. I also want to avoid partiers/drugs/prostitution etc.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Ferris? Anyone?

I’ll look into it and check back in with some places.

Best Western Peachtree Corners
7035 Jimmy Carter Blvd NW,Norcross,GA 30092
Phone: (770) 409-0004

Depending on when you will be driving into town, this will probably be about a 25 minute drive downtown, more in traffic.

Red Roof Inn-Chamblee
2822 Chamblee Tucker Rd,Atlanta,GA 30341
Phone: (770) 458-6941

This place may be your best bet. I was just by this place last week and I think I saw a sign for $39.95 – This would be about 15 minutes closer than the last one I mentioned. It’s about a 10-15 minute ride into downtown, add more for traffic.

If you want something closer/further or more/less expensive, let me know.

Where’s the convention? Atlanta’s metro area is vast. You don’t want to drive from end to the other trying to get there, I promise. Your best bet is a central location. There’re tons of places to stay for cheap.

I was struggling for a reply as well. Atlanta is a relative term. Is the convention actually IN Atlanta, or in one of the many surrounding areas that calls itself Atlanta? Can you give more info?

It’s the Atlanta Mariott Marquis, at 265 Peachtree Center Ave.

Thanks for your help!

I think this thread would feel more at home in IMHO.

Wow. Ok, lucwarm, I work about across the street from the Mariott Marquis. If you drive in, make sure you know ahead of time where you’ll be parking.

My other suggestion, if you don’t need your car downtown is to go someplace close to the Marta lines. Near my house (and I’m close to the N. Springs, Sandy Springs, and Dunwoody stations…Perimeter Mall area) there are several hotels - some of them are listed here. It also lists some hotels in Marietta - those are a bit further out, in Cobb County. I’d stay away from Cobb and Gwinnett counties if I were you. Traffic can be horrid, or it can be decent. Just depends on how lucky you are.

If you’re flying in, you might check the airport area. There are a lot of hotels down that way as well. If you choose to take MARTA into town, you need the Peachtree Center Station and go up into the Peachtree Center food court area, then take the catwalk thingies to the hotel.