Question for Jewish Dopers: Is this taking the keto craze a bit too far?

“This”, in case you are wondering, is latkes (potato pancakes) made with cauliflower. :confused: Has anyone else heard of this? I saw a recipe online, and I’m pretty sure I saw an ad for frozen latkes, sold at the local overpriced natural grocer.

I’m not Jewish, but I do know that Passover will be coming up soon, and was curious as to whether anyone else had seen these.

I’m not Jewish, but I am tickled by the fact that a completely manmade vegetable is considered “paleo.”

Sure, I’ve had them. My wife makes them every now and then. She also makes leek latkes (a traditional Balkan Jewish recipe) and sweet potato latkes, which are delicious but a real pain in the butt to make. I’ve also heard of - but never eaten - pumpkin latkes and zucchini latkes. Latkes contain multitudes.

I’m not personally a fan of cauliflower, but it’s being used as a substitute for a number of carbs, including rice. I don’t see how it’s “too far”.

The Hanukkah tradition of latkes is about the oil, not about the potatoes.

Might be for diabetics or pre-diabetics.

However, sweet potato latkesare fried in butter.

Although potatoes have become traditional for latkes, a bit of thought and recollection that in terms of Jewish history potatoes are a relatively new thing, only available for a few centuries, would lead one to conclude that potato is not a requirement for them.

As noted, with Hannukah and latkas it’s about the oil, not the potatoes.

Good grief, humans made this stuff ON PURPOSE?

And cauliflower is one of the most kidney-friendly foods, along with cabbage.

Decidedly contra-indicated when served with brisket!

You know, there’s other types of Jewish food beyond the Polish crap Americans eat.

There’s no end to the horrors our species has wrought.

What’s wrong with cauliflower? Baked cauliflower in béchamel sauce, spicy stir-fried cauliflower… it’s a perfectly cromulant vegetable.

Not to mention that most foods can be made in a kosher manner.

Our local Jewish Federation for awhile employed a kosher chef that specialized in kosher Mexican food, as an example.

According to rest.co.il (a leading Israeli restaurant site), there are 36 kosher Mexican restaurants in Israel - and Mexican food isn’t that popular here.

Why do you think this is just a “craze” issue? I’ve been advised by my physician to strictly restrict carbohydrates. It’s amazing to me that I can go somewhere and get a cauliflower crust pizza or riced cauliflower as a side dish. Bread is freaking everywhere. It’s very hard to avoid.

That is interesting, there is a lot of cheese in Mexican cuisine.

This was my first thought as well. I have no idea if its kosher but could chicken be served with cheese? Its not milk from the same species. Say like chicken fajitas with sour cream and cheese?

I am told that chicken with dairy is legitimate. Apparently some Rabbis thought that some people would believe that if chicken were ok, so was beef.

I don’t know of any school of Jewish thought that considers poultry with dairy kosher.

That said, you can have Mexican food without cheese (or without meat). You just change the recipes a bit.