Question for non-Americans - Coupons and Specials?

In the US it is common for a business like a restaurant to put out a coupon in the paper for say “Buy 1 hamburger - get 1 free”. Or “25% off with coupon”.

Another are “Day of the week” specials like say half price meals on Thursday nights.

So Id like to ask, if a person was eating out in say Italy, Japan, China, Brazil, Philippines, Thailand, France or such, do you see similar coupons and specials? I have seen them in the UK and Germany.

In multiple Western European countries I’ve seen paper coupons for all kinds of establishments, apps that are the virtual equivalent of coupons, and coupons you get as part of fidelization programs (nowadays many of these don’t even require you to carry the membership card or the coupon). Exact details vary by location, but that’s even within a single country.

Bigger chain places pretty much all do it in the UK, especially fast food; in the paper, on the back of bus tickets, on flyers in the postbox (pizza hut alone has shoved half a tree worth of coupons into my postbox, though I’ve never bought food off them). The commonest is to get a short dated discount coupon for the next purchase with the receipt- or on the back of the receipt- when you buy something, especially if you have a loyalty card.

Smaller independent places don’t do it as much, but it’s still not unheard of.

What the heck is this? Anyway, he’s dead, his brother is retired, I think only a niece of the Castro family is still in the government of Cuba. What do they have to do with store coupons?

I remembered from my high school French class something about France allowing sales only twice a year. I didn’t know if that was still in effect, but some googling shows that it is. (Loss-leaders, at least.)

I think Nava has been unduly influenced by the Spanish word ”fidelización”, which means essentially “the act of building customer loyalty”.

Yeah, Nava was writing one hour past her bedtime.

Yes, we have these in South Africa. Also Groupon etc.

They’re called vouchers in Ireland, but yes, we have them.

You won’t coupons in the newspaper in the Philippines. But you can get rewards points, like every PHP 5,000 purchase entitles you to a free pizza. Restaurants will also run special promotions every once in a while, not necessarily as a regular thing.

Local newspapers are almost non-existent in rural Thailand, though big stores have “fliers” I never examine.

The big chain stores (7-Eleven, Big C, Tesco Lotus) are full of promotions, and the receipts often have coupons waiting to be clipped. I often buy juice cartons 6 at a time — that way I’m covered whether it’s a 2-for-1 promotion or a 3-for-2 promotion — get it wrong and you’ll have to wait while they send an employee to pick up your extra carton. Yesterday I bought two popsicles at 7-Eleven for 10 baht each — but they had to be rung up separately from the rest of my purchases to get the special price. :smack:

Many restaurants and chain stores sell “Membership cards” which give eligibility for discounts and/or promotions. (If you forget the card, in some cases you can recite your phone number.)

The 7-Elevens alternate: for a few months they give stamps with purchases; you can spend the stamps as 1 baht each(*), or save them up for a “prize.” After a few months they switch to printing credits on the receipts. A few months later it’s back to stamps again. I try to save the stamps but for some reason just throw all the receipts away. On top of all that, the 7-Eleven employees will try to sell me some special every time. Yesterday it was ขนมจีบ, normally one stick for 21 baht but on sale at two sticks for 30 baht. Sometimes I call them ขนมจูบ just to add to the general mirth.

I hate all these coupons etc. I see that they make business sense: get more business from the thrifty, while surcharging the people too lazy to clip the coupons, but I want my laziness cake and to eat it too!

That’s the cool thing about the cards: no clipping, no papers. Just your card, and depending on the system it may not even be needed (it’s replaced by your phone number or your ID).

I’m American, but I travel to the UK once or twice a year and I’ve got numerous offers from them, mostly by signing up for wifi at various places. Nicholson’s pubs often sends me a free drink coupoun, Ed’s Easy Diner (which I’ve never eaten at, but I’ve used their wifi and registered) often sends me 50% off food offers, and I’ll get emails from Virgin Trains when they have sales, about every 3 months or so.