Question for non-Americans - Veterans benefits?

In the US veterans, are given some help in getting a job with a government agency. It used to be they were actually guaranteed a job in the Postal Service at least as a custodian. Nowadays its not as good but they are given some help such as extra points on exams and their military service time is added onto their civil service time when it comes to pay and retirement. Some government jobs are only open to veterans and some jobs on posts are only open to veterans or spouses of veterans.

Do other countries do this for their veterans?

Also the government has a network of hospitals that veterans get care at called VA hospitals.

Is this common to have separate hospitals for veterans?

In the UK, there used to be military hospitals, but they were all closed some time ago. Injured soldiers are now treated in general hospitals, although, at the height of the Middle East wars, there were some special wards. Of course, the NHS applies to ex soldiers as well as the rest of us.

There are several charities that help veterans, especially the handicapped, but they get no special preference in the labour market. Military pensions are relatively good.

Sadly, many veterans, deprived of their military ‘family’ end up sleeping rough.

In countries with UHC it makes no sense, really. Spain doesn’t have separate hospitals for veterans and very few ones for active personnel. With I think two exceptions, permanent military “hospitals” are more like day centers, if a soldier needs surgery he’ll get shuffled to the nearest civilian hospitals (those two exceptions I know of happen to be the biggest local hospital, so they actually get a lot more civilian patients than military ones).

The Spanish Armed Forces provide training in fields which may be difficult to get into otherwise; they may also provide “normal” training in unusual ways. For example, a former boss of mine had obtained all his training in business management and chemistry as a demolitions sergeant. He wasn’t the kind of guy who’ll do good in a classroom, but he evidently hadn’t had much of a problem picking up the training so long as it came on the job.

They’ve got no shortage of people asking for information about joining, some of the big motivators are being able to do stuff you just don’t get to do in civilian life, being able to get training in things for which civilian training would be ridiculously expensive (the typical example is plane pilot) and the job security. The Academies are considered quite difficult to get into, but then, they had entrance tests when nobody else did and the tests include both physical and “class knowledge” parts. There are some companies which prefer to hire people with military experience and the military knows which ones they are, so they will funnel people there.

Also, many of our Civil Service examinations give “points” for previous service, which includes military service among others.

In Germany, soldiers serving 4 years or more get 50% of their last pay for a certain time (e.g. for 4-year soldiers, for 12 months), with a larger benefit as long as they are enrolled in full-time education, plus a lump sum depending on length of service and last pay grade. They also get counseling in possible career/education paths. Officers who have started their career at one of the two armed services universities have already got a degree there which they can use in civilian life, of course.

There are five military hospitals but (apart from the treatment of serving soldiers) they serve the general population in their area (my father once had treatment for a geriatric emergency in one - unusual experience to encounter doctors with naval rank insignia on their white coats…). Military veterans are enrolled in the statutory health insurance just like almost everyone else, and get treated in the same places just like everyone else (possibly except for in-service injuries).

The state pays contributions into the statutory pension insurance, so veterans get retirement benefits on the strength of their aggregate civilian + military lifetime employment.

Slight quibble: the U.S. government does not simply add veterans’ military service time to their civilian service time in calculating their pension.

Rather, the employee has the right to “buy back” their military time, after which it’s added to their civilian time.

I believe they are basically making contributions to their civilian pension for the years they were in military service (which they would have paid had they been in civilian service).

I did not know this. Was this nation wide?

Is there a listing of these jobs?

That is correct. At the state level too although that can vary of course. I have bought back 4 years of my military time towards my state pension.

In Germany, servicemen and servicewomen with 12 years of service under their belt (“Zwölfender”) (=twelve-enders) are entitled to preferential treatment when they apply for civil service jobs. This has a long tradition and goes back to the old Prussian Army. There is a notion (which may or may not be entirely accurate) that civil servants in Germany traditionally treat citizens the way drill sergeants treat their recruits.

In Oman, service members and their families (spouses, children and parents at the least) are entitled to free medical care at the Armed Forces Hospital in Muscat (there was just one until this year, but a new one is being built in the other major population center). In the 1990s, the AFH was by far the best medical facility in the country; the Sultan’s family also went there as a matter of course. I’m not sure if that is still true.

Well, Charles II founded the Royal Hospital for Chelsea Pensioners in 1682. Les Invalides was in 1670. Although the French always had a lot more veterans because they had more soldiers than anyone else in Europe. Until the Russians started incurring.
They should count as medical hospitals as well, back then. No doubt they did the best they could.

Couple more quibbles: veterans are extended considerable preference in filling many federal government positions. (IME often with little consideration of whether the veteran is qualified for the position. Often, if you wish to fill a position, your sole option is to hire a veteran. Thankfully, I am no longer in mgmt. so I don’t need to concern myself with them, but there are multiple and extensive programs in recent years to provide vets access to federal employment.)

Also, in the US “disabled” veterans can be awarded VA benefits, with no set off against other government benefits or wages. And if denied VA disability, they can simply reapply ad infinitum. In recent years there has been considerable publicity about a backlog in the VA’s processing of disability claim. I have seen several cases in which it very clearly appears that individuals have been awarded benefits simply to pay down the backlog. Just my opinion, of course, and certainly not saying that NO veteran is deserving of VA disability benefits.

What about VA-guaranteed loans and the GI Bill? Any foreign counterparts to those?

I was under the impression that veterans’ hiring preferences generally applied only when selecting between two or more equally qualified candidates. Not so?

It’s been a really long time since I worked for the Feds, but if memory serves, qualifications are ranked on a numerical scale, and veterans are given a certain number of points, and veterans with a service-connected disability are given a greater number of points.

Mops already mentioned Germany’s veterans getting some benefits to assist with education:

AFAIK, the Spanish armed forces will pay for “coursework related to your job” while serving but I haven’t heard of fellowships post-service. Note that many civilian companies will also pay for “coursework related to your job”, in general you pay for it beforehand and they reimburse you for courses passed.

The veterans benefit comes in when calculating the candidates qualifications. If you’re hiring (in the federal government, except in one of many special cases, etc) you’ll get a list of the top X number of candidates based on the skills you want and you can hire from the top down. Vets get extra points here as do Feds with awards, high annual evaluations and some other things I can’t remember.

In my limited experience hiring computer programmers, a few veterans with a little computer training will choke out the top spots on a ‘cert list’ so that you ether have to hire one or wait until they drop off the list for some reason. With two equally qualified candidates, one a civilian and one a veteran, the civilian would come up second on the list and probably get an interview. If there are three vets applying then there’s little chance I’d ever see the civilian’s resume (We got to interview the top three candidates.)