Question from tonight's The West Wing (possible spoilers)

What’s the $100,000 Oliver was talking about with Charlie?

I thought he was talking about the attorney’s fees Charlie would incur.

I was leaning toward that, wasn’t too sure though.

I had typed up my full take on the episode in a differnet thread, but mercifully looked back to see if one had started while I was typing.

Yes the 100K was the attorney fees that Charlie should expect. You see the plot that will develop with Charlie in the previews. Prez keeps him at bay so as to avoid putting Charlie at risk. I need to find a source that tells what everyone spent on legal fees during the Clinton fiasco. Betty Curry spent a fortune. Now onto the episode…

It started out flat, but it picked up steam when CJ goofed. I t set the stage for a great season. It was as liberal as ever, but hey, they’re liberals.

A few random thoughts.

• Ron Silver: Yet another high profile cast addition, yet he was no more effective than Moira Kelly in the role of political consultant. Didn’t do it for me. At least he wasn’t driving fast in a convertible to show “attitude.”

• Margaret (Hey “Redhead”): She has hung in there nicely to get a few lines every coupla shows. When a major cast change happens, I’m betting she’ll make a push for an opening credit spot.

• I AM starting to notice the afterschool special feel to their lectures. Of course, it reminds me of conversations we dopers have where we try to get out all semi-relevant information on a given subject to show how smart we are (“Did You know…”)

• Leo: I liked Leo’s portrayel. It was a shame that people who saw the Terrorism special (many new to the series), came away thinking he was a bad person. A great scene was when everyone kept saying the same thing about the poll (“1100 People…”), but when Toby told Leo that they’d been over everything, he just said “Good” and went about his business. No follow up like Matalin and the others. Good old, effecient Leo. Now I remember why he vies with Josh as my favorite character.

• Didn’t like the NSA clapping scene. Came off as butt kissing. I know the Prez gets the cheeks smooched daily, but that seemed abnormal.

• Where is the SecDef in all these meetings?

• A nice NEW take on Wag the dog.

• Is Charlie 21? I thought he was 20 recently.

• I loved the Pakistan line.

• Who was the Bald Guy at the bar?

• No Timothy Busfield in this episode. Does that spell the end of Danny in the series?

Agreed. This is the only part of the episode that kinda irked me.

One of Ron Silver’s team of writers. Or are you asking who the actor was?

You answered my question. Thanks.

VERY MINOR SPOILER Word on the street is Danny’s supposed to be back soon - I’d thought it was this week, actually. Maybe in part 2.

Anyway, I liked it. Not their very best work, but a good solid ep. C.J. had some GREAT stuff, and it was very sweet how the President asked about her at the end. Looking forward to next week.

And how much do I love the First Lady? “Hey, you missed it! It was great, some crazy man got on national tv and totally screwed his wife!”

I’m not one to gossip. Alright, fine, I am. What was up with Stockard Channing’s mouth/dimples? Was I just seeing things? It looked like a face lift or something.

The clapping part annoyed me too. Even more than that was how they glossed over Josh’s comment on RU-486. Something along the lines of “Everybody’s for this drug!” Granted, he was being a tad flippant in how he said it, but I about rolled off the couch when I heard that. I’m for the drug and I can’t believe how biased the storyline is when that just rolls right out without even an opposing viewpoint. Where the hell is that Republican lawyer anyway? Did she die down in the boiler room when no one went to check on her?

On a completely random note, anyone else think NiCole Robinson (Margaret) and Siobhan Fallon (Beatrice from Men in Black) are the same person?

The $100K was the amount that Oliver Platt told Dule’ Hill he’d need for lawyer fees if he (Dule’) was completely innocent. Which is why Dule’ had the look as if he’d been whacked in the head by a 2x4.

Who is the “redhead”? Is that Bartlett’s new secretary?

Also, why is it so dark in the Press briefing room? Those are usually given at midday, not at midnight.

We need more Oliver Platt.

I really liked Rob Lowe’s line to John Spencer “Well some of us have had longer!”

Last night watched 3 of what I expected to be my favorite shows: WW, Ed, and Enterprise. Ed totally sucked - doubt I’ll be watching that again. Enterprise, I’ll leave to the kids. But WW didn’t disappoint. Loved the President’s announcement: “Yep. And I’m gonna win!”
Sure frees up the VCRs Wed night.

That’s the “situation room,” which is an underground bunker in the White House.

It’s also dark because there’s all sorts of electronical gizmos in there, and darkness makes it easier to read them.

Well, I interpreted that to mean “Of course I’m for it, we’re liberals, pretty much everyone in the administration is for it,” not “all right-thinking people in this country are for it.” It’s pretty well established that this is a pro-choice administration. (Although it should be noted that President Bartlet is a devout Catholic and, IIRC, spent some time before he was president counseling women to choose adoption - he just doesn’t think it’s a matter that should be legislated.) I imagine we’ll see some debate about the drug in upcoming episodes - this week’s was so fast-paced there really wasn’t time for it.

Word on Ainsley (the Republican lawyer) needing to come back, though. It’s nice to see an intelligent Southerner on TV, and her scenes with Leo were always hilarious.

The redhead is Margaret, who has been Leo’s secretary all along. We haven’t seen the new secretary yet.

Also, I don’t think that we’ll be seeing any sort of debate on RU-486. It’s just a plot tool - they could have used anything to muck up their announcement.

I don’t have a problem with WW presenting the DEM point of view only. I imagine there aren’t too many people in the Bush White House who are for RU-486. It seems logical that a liberal White House would feel this way.

Plus, Sorkin says it is his show and he is a self admitted liberal. If someone wants to do a Republican White House Show, he welcomes them.

I just look past it, as I assume do most viewers. Most people watching the West Wing already have a political point of view anyway. It is basically (1) Annoying those of us on the right or (2) Preaching to the choir. I don’t think he is successfully “converting” anyone.

Finally watched the tape last night. I found the plot device of jumping back and forth in time a tad confusing, but the tape didn’t catch the first few minutes of the show (again) so that might have been why. As I mentioned in last week’s thread, I am still playing catch up here so humor me on these questions if they are dumb:

More questions:
What is Charlie in trouble for? What did the president or someone else do to warrant a special prosecutor? Is Brad Whitford’s character involved with the blonde woman? And what is his role again, exactly? Who was the woman who started the clapping in the defense room? What exactly is the situation with Haiti, or is this intentionally vague?

Last night I thought Stockard Channing’s first lady appearance was quite good. I also liked the line from Charlie (paraphrase) “he is the president, I imagine it is not your average marriage”.

As for some of the notes here, IMO it would be interesting to see Sorkin insert a Republican into the White House in a couple of years and show that person as capable yet human as well. It’s a bigger challenge to write characters that your audience can care about even when you don’t echo their belief system. Realize that politics can be polarizing but I see this show as more about the machinations than the beliefs, although it would be hollow without reflecting the political beliefs as well.

The President has MS. He and 16 other people (his wife, his children, the VP, don’t remember all of the rest) knew. They didn’t tell anyone else until two weeks before the initial press conference. So far as they know right now, the only time anyone has been asked directly about the president’s health and not revealed it (rather than simply failing to mention it) is on a family medical history form that Dr. Bartlett filled out when their youngest daughter went to college. The special prosecutor is out to find out whether the President has actually done anything criminal. The entire staff is going to be under investigation. Charlie is particularly in trouble as due to the fact that he was around the president and first family almost constantly and he’s not an idiot he managed to put two and two together long before he was officially told.

The blond woman, Donna, is Bradley Whitford’s assistant. He, Josh, is the Deputy Chief of Staff. Last season it became clear that both are interested, but they’re not together.

The woman who started clapping in the defense room is the head of the NSA. IIRC, last season there was a democratic election in Haiti, followed closely by a military coup. I think we’re trying to get the elected leader and the americans out…

They did last year, with Ainsley Hayes. I think he did ok with her (except the part of me that’s interested in the soap opera aspects and still thinks Sam should end up with Mallory, and thought the two of them were flirting far too much… but politically, I think she was ok)

There are a few blonde women, so I’m not sure which one you’re talking about, but Brad Whitford plays Josh Lyman, the communications director.

I believe she’s either the National Securtity Advisor or the Secretary of Defense. The Haiti thing began last season; there has been a military coup aginast the democratically elected president of Haiti and the troops have surrounded the American embassy there.

There is a Republican character on the show, a lawyer who works in the White House counsel’s office. She’s a semi-regular character. The President hired her because “he likes smart people who disagree with him.”

Of course her office is in the basement. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if they mentioned it this episode, but Stockard plays an MD as friedo indicates. It also makes the situation much more difficult.

Basically, this is mirrored after the Clinton investigation where the special prosecutor’s office is fishing for incriminating evidence.

I thought Zoe told Charlie (for those playing catchup, Charlie is the PREZ’s personal aid but also dates the Prez’s youngest daughter. Bartlett was shot at the end of the first season by white seperatists who were targeting Charlie.)
assistant.

I think I read that she won’t be back. Anyone heard otherwise? She kind of annoyed me and I am a republican.

When was her last appearance? I remember her in the Kennedy Center episode. Mallory is Leo’s daughter right? Played by Jane Curtain’s TV Daughter from Kate and Allie (who turned from a little tomboy who turned into quite the hottie!)

I don’t know if they mentioned it this episode, but Stockard plays an MD as friedo indicates. It also makes the situation much more difficult.

Basically, this is mirrored after the Clinton investigation where the special prosecutor’s office is fishing for incriminating evidence.

I thought Zoe told Charlie (for those playing catchup, Charlie is the PREZ’s personal aid but also dates the Prez’s youngest daughter. Bartlett was shot at the end of the first season by white seperatists who were targeting Charlie.)
assistant.

I think I read that she won’t be back. Anyone heard otherwise? She kind of annoyed me and I am a republican.

When was her last appearance? I remember her in the Kennedy Center episode. Mallory is Leo’s daughter right? Played by Jane Curtain’s TV Daughter from Kate and Allie (who turned from a little tomboy who turned into quite the hottie!)