Question regarding Formula1 anouncers

Ok, so I am new to the world of F1. Mr Babs is a big fan and I like to watch it with him.

This weekend, the Shumaker brothers were morning the (unexpected) passing of their mother. Michael won. He usually does, but this season hasn’t been too good for him. He was allowed to skip the podium if he wished. He went ahead with the award ceremony, which was rather somber.

The British (?) announcer kept making commentaries about how old and tired Michael was looking. He even went on to specifically point out a receeding hairline and bags under his eyes (!).

Now, to me, this sounded rather rude…moreso given the circumstances.

So my question is:
Are announcers on F1 typically this rude?

Is it me, am I ‘reading’ to much into the comments?

and while you’re here, who do you cheer for?
I like team Orange because I think their car is graphically pleasing. :slight_smile:
Go Orange! (even though you never win!)

I, when I watch, which is rarely, being a brazilian, cheer for Ferrari as a team and Rubens as a pilot. ( Is this sentence grammatical?) Montoya is shaping up to be great too and Michael is still the best living pilot.

Talking of Formula1 what did you think of the debacle at Interlagos? You think there will still be a race there next year?

You unfortunately missed the Murray Walker reign of Formula One commentary. For years Murray was the (highly excitable, sometimes irrational ) voice of Formula One. He was always in awe of the drivers and never rude. To read some classic Murrayisms (as they were called) check this out.Some examples:

• “Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna’s Lotus sounding rough ?”

Murrary: “What’s that? There’s a BODY on the track!!!”
James: “Um, I think that that is a piece of BODY-WORK, from someone’s car.”

“Ah! Now here’s Senna in the pits (for the black flag). No point in saying I wish I could lip read: I can’t even see his lips! There’s Ron Dennis bending over at the right. This is A-! Out gets Senna! For whatever reason and I just hope we can get a message about this. I hope we can get a message. Ayrton Senna with, with rage and impotent fury etched in every line of his body, reluctantly drags himself out of the McLaren.” (In reality Senna calmly stepped out of the car and walked away.)*

And many, many, many more on that page…

As for teams, I support Ferrari and Jordan.