Quick (spoken) Japanese sentence translation?

More like a “transcription” or “transliteration” I guess. I have the translation of this line of dialogue (about five seconds), but I’d like to know what the actual words the actor is speaking, in the original Japanese. (I’ve had no luck trying to work it out, phoenetically…hell, I have to turn on the subtitles for english dialogue in movies, often enough.)

Can anyone help me out, please?

To me it sounds like:

Sono mukui ga Kumari-sama kara. Sumanakata na, Shinji. (Kumahari-sama?)

What is that, Evangelion?

Note that “sumanakata” is the same as “sumimasen deshita.” You won’t find it in a dictionary.

Thanks for the info—yeah, that’s from the Evangelion movie.

And, if I could trouble you by asking…what’s the signifigance behand the “sumanakata”/“sumimasen deshita” difference? Is it colloquialism or a regional speech quirk, or is it more like an American english speaker using “gonna” instead of “going to,” or something?

I’m going to have to disagree with the transcription. I think it’s:

Sono mukui ga konna arisama ka. Sumanakatta na, Shinji.

at work so I can’t listen to it, but I know the song (some of my kids even sung it on bunko seikai/culture day last week).

I don’t actually know if sumana-katta (it would be a double ‘t’ I think, すまなかった) is a collquialism (or a dialiect, as the Japanese say “ben” like people here speak Toyama-ben and add “ne” to the ends of a lot of things) or if it’s just a much less formal way of saying sumimasen deshita. It could also just be the difference between saying “excuse me” and “pardon me” though I’m one to lean towards the less-formal

Sumanakatta is the plain form of sumimasen deshita. It’s not a colloquialism or regional slang. The plain form is used between people of the same social status or when addressing someone of lower status. It’s also used in formal writing.