Quit Drinking - Good things/Bad things.

I have been putting this off for a while for fear of jinxing it… but I’d be a pretty weak person if I let myself worry about a jinx as insignificant as this. Anyway - I quit drinking 48 days ago.

There are many good and bad points about not drinking… I will list the main ones only.
Bad things

Drinking was my Only-Pleasure™. (Sitting at my computer after work steadily soaking my brain with beer and whisky). I could enjoy unrealistic senses/feelings about people and things. I seemed to feel more philosophical. Partly I enjoyed feeling sorry for myself.

Time seems to pass more slowly (Though this effect is not as pronounced after a month as it tended to be when I would quit for only a few days or a week in the past)

I have trouble getting to sleep. And lying in bed waiting for sleep can be boring.
Good Things

I have a better chance of remembering my dreams.

I don’t feel like shit when I wake up in the morning.

No more worrying about rapidly sobering up in time for work.

I am saving money.

More mental ‘up’ time for learning things and developing mental stability.

I might actually live to collect my pension.

I can drink when I’m old and retired… by which time I may not want to.
Edit: Post your good things/bad things (If you have quit drinking in the past month or year)

However, when you wake up feeling like shit after a night of drinking, you know that you will feel a little better every hour that goes by. :cool:

(Congrats on your feat. I will continue to drink in your stead)

I couldn’t give up drinking! Apropos to you! (Ok, perhaps I COULD, but I just simply don’t want to) I have cut down quite a bit since the summer, but quit entirely? My god, no way! I want to have a drink when I go out with the guys, I like a glass of wine with a candle-lit dinner with the Fiancee, and I love having a beer while watching the game or some other show.

Oh - One more HUGE Bad thing - Enjoyment of Music isn’t the same sober.

Never having tried recreational drugs I could feel pretty euphoric if sufficiently sloshed and the right music was being piped directly into my ears.

Pro - not ingesting a ton of useless calories, easier to manage weight

Pro - not acting like Crazy Guggenheim before your friends and family and wondering later why they think you’re a stooge.

Good one. At first when I quit I was compensating calrically with junk food. Until I heard second-hand that a relative (Brother) had asked if I was putting on weight. This was nearly a month ago, and i’ve been eating sensibly ever since. I am losing weight.

I just wish I had a fast/easy solution to the ‘paunch’ of fat/skin on my belly.

Yeah, I know, excercise… but I don’t want to get to heavilly involved in excercise until I have lost the weight and can begin increasing my Protein/fat/carbs intake to turn into muscle.

I drank alone. Acting like a stooge was never a problem.

Unless I would sleep-walk around the house and not remember it.

Good Thing - I might be able to find the time to write that novel that’s in me.

Don’t get yourself started with the upside. This has always been my (and I’m sure I’m not alone) undoing. The cons are a never ending daily mind game that will have you holding a frosty glass of your favorite lubricant in your hand by the end of every day. I always drank alone too. It’s the alcoholics way. Keep going.

Hope this isn’t too ignorant for MPSIMS.

This, for me, is the killer reason. I recall some of your posts when you were less-than-sober.

For me, drinking or not drinking is no big deal. While I often enjoy wine or cider with a meal or while watching sport, at times I’ve gone months with no alcohol with no fuss. However, one of the things the SDMB has made me understand is that for some people, drinking is a big deal, and I respect that. So good for you and keep it up.

I’m coming up on two months now. My plan is to compelely quit for 4 months and then see if I can be a social drinker. If I can, then cool, if not, I’ll go back to completly stopped.

Con for me:

I’m a saleman, so there’s normally drinking with clients.

Japanese society seems built around drinking, so less time spend now with friends.

I also have trouble sleeping at times, then tend to crash on the weekends.

Pros:

I feel much better.

I went though a really difficult time recently, with a bout of depression. Normally, I drink too much when I get depressed, which compounds the problem. This time I got through the bout quicker.

I feel much better.

I don’t worry my wife as much, since she’s not afraid I’ll drink myself dead.

Good luck!

Con:
No more George Thorogood impersonations. :wink:

I quit drinking a few years ago. I’m not sure why you only wanted to hear from people who have quit recently; you’re going to hear from me anyway.

Good stuff. I’m a much better guitar player in the third and fourth sets than I used to be. My voice is much better when I sing in church on Sunday mornings. When I read before sleeping, I remember what I’ve read. When I need to do physical labor, I have more stamina than I used to. If I say something stupid, I know I’ve done so, and I do it far less frequently. I wake up clear-headed, never confused, and I always know what happened last night and what I’m supposed to do today. I rarely argue with my wife, or anyone else.

Bad stuff. I was tempted to say that there has been no bad stuff. I can think of two things. Occasionally, someone in a social setting, always someone who is drinking, will inquire repeatedly about why I am not drinking. I usually try to get by with saying I don’t enjoy it any more, but that sometimes doesn’t satisfy the inquirer. No big deal really. I have also noticed that parties get boring a lot earlier than they used to. I find that past a certain point, people who are drinking get remarkably uninteresting to me, and this sometimes leads to situations where my wife wants to stay somewhere when I’m ready to leave. We work it out.

Not to hijack the thread, but it has made me curious. Why do people that used to drink and quit, quit entirely? Is it a human weakness that somebody can’t drink occasionally, such as one beer at a social setting?

I mean, nobody would comment on that, and those that drink at all anymore and explain “it isn’t fun anymore” typically mean “I don’t like getting smashed and not remembering crap or feeling sick.” Yeah, but ONE beer doesn’t do that.

Most of the time it comes off as sanctimonious to those that DO drink ONLY socially, and often (though I may be reading too much into it), I feel like the other person is judging when they say it.

I mean, I no longer like drinking in excess and have stopped doing so (though there are exceptions like new years or a halloween party or something), but that doesn’t mean I quit entirely.

If you feel judged by those who don’t drink at all, that probably says more about you than about them.

twicks, who doesn’t drink at all, but who doesn’t judge those who do

Right, that must be it. Can’t be that tone they get in their voice, or the implications that because you have a beer or two with dinner that you are doing so to “have fun” or “get drunk.” It can’t possibly be because some like the TASTE and not the merely the buzz. Those that brag about how long they have gone without drinking always bring it up in social settings, and they all get that preachy-voice.

But it is me, yep, no possible way that those that don’t drink (or have quit) never, ever feel superior.

My reason for quitting is that I am an alcoholic. I try to avoid saying things like “I don’t drink”, because that can come off as meaning “and you shouldn’t either.” In social settings I simply order or select what I want to drink, and usually no one cares. Sometimes, someone will inquire about why I’m not drinking alcohol, and sometimes my simple replies don’t seem to satisfy. So, despite your experience, people sometimes do comment. I used to think that this meant that these individuals might have a bit of a problem with alcohol themselves, but I’m trying to do as twickster does and avoid such judgments. But if someone is bothered by me saying “I just want a Coke, not a beer”, I don’t believe that the cause of their discomfort is anything I’ve said or done. I can tell you that none of my friends has ever questioned why I don’t drink, it is always people I have just met or barely know.

When I first stopped drinking, far from feeling superior to those who drank, I felt jealous. They can drink and I can’t. Those feelings have passed.

For some people, it’s not a matter of being able to only be social drinkers.

To quote Leo McGarry from The West Wing:

“I’m an alcoholic, I don’t have one drink. I don’t understand people who have one drink. I don’t understand people who leave half a glass of wine on the table. I don’t understand people who say they’ve had enough. How can you have enough of feeling like this?”

I guess that makes sense then. I can’t have “one cigarette” anymore after I have quit, I know I will get hooked again. Didn’t know drinking was like that for some.

*not everybody gets a preachy voice, I know many that don’t drink or have quit that do not. A good percentage of those that I know that have quit certainly lord it about though. Of course I know those that used to smoke that are rabid anti-smokers too, so it isn’t about drinking, just about human nature.