Quitting smoking - give me tips!

That’s a really good idea, although luckily for me I haven’t smoked indoors in years - back garden only, I never even smoked in the street. Yesterday I went around and picked up any butts I could see.

Out of curiosity, how long has it been since you quit?

This is true. If I had to choose between smoking a cigarette, or drinking a cup of coffee the waitress had spit into, I’d take the coffee. I get a red, criss-cross rash, runny nose, and sore eyes (feels like mild pink-eye) when I’m in a room where people smoke a lot, even if no one is currently smoking.

Now, here’s the funny thing: my mother smoked in college and grad school, which was, about 1956-1962. But the day the surgeon’s general report on smoking came out, my very paranoid mother quit cold turkey, and told my father, her then fiance, that he was quitting too, or the wedding was off. They never smoked in my lifetime.

Anyway, by the 1980s, my mother was reacting to cigarettes as well. Not as badly as I did, but her face would get red and puffy, and her nose would run.

I don’t know if the formulation of cigarettes changed, or if she just developed an intolerance somehow-- I don’t know how, though.

But it can happen.

I don’t have any sense of smell. But I can detect cigarette smoke, because it sends a burst of pain through my head. And I used to smoke!

I quit several times before it “took” for good. Afterward, I realized that I’d had a low-grade self-inflicted headache for years. :woman_facepalming:

I’m just sending another encouraging message. You are strong and you have this. Be proud!!!

Our housekeeper smokes and I can smell her when she comes in. We have other friends who smoke, so we keep covered ashtrays by the front and back of the house. Today I was sitting out on the porch and took the top off one for reasons. The sight of the half smoked butts meant nothing, but I was mildly annoyed at the smell.

You will be where I am soon, keep going!

Day 14 and still not smoking! I finally threw out the half opened packet that I’d kept lurking in a drawer.

Still get pangs, mostly in the mornings (like right now), but I’m definitely thinking about it less. Maybe just ten times a day now!

Is this, then, a good time to tell you that you used to stink something awful? Because you don’t anymore. When a theater or restaurant was crowded, I sent up silent prayers not to get stuck sitting next to you.

Nothing personal-- I don’t even know you. It’s just that you smelled AWFUL. You made my eyes and nose run.

But it’s cool now.

Late to the party but, the thing that worked for me was, whenever I started to break down and eventually light up, I had a habit of clinching my jaw. So I made a conscious effort to keep my jaw relaxed.

And that odd little act was the thing that made it possible for me to quit for good.

It was probably 40 years ago. I was at the horse track and got a little bit of a sore throat, and told myself: that could be cancer! That was just enough to help me quit cold turkey. Probably substituting sparkling oregano helped a teenie bit, but there were long stretches when that wasn’t available, so it can’t take much credit. I tell people: don’t make yourself any promises, just go day to day. And don’t tell anyone you quit. It was nice to go out into the world and not have to always make sure you don’t forget the cigs and lighter.

People don’t give up smoking because of the smell.

I wasn’t saying you did-- I just thought you might like to know. Most people don’t bother to tell smokers how much they stink, because, like you said, no one gives it up for that reason. But it’s nice when someone around you no longer makes you want to gag when they sit close.

Congrats! You are a nonsmoker, my friend. Jot down that 10x/day, and check back in a week to see how much less frequent they are.

See if you can just change your thinking of yourself as being a nonsmoker, rather than someone “trying to quit.” You’re not trying to quit - you’ve succeeded! Don’t think of yourself as someone who is at risk of falling back into bad habits. Bullshit. You are fully capable of NOT doing all manner of bad things all the time - even when they pop into your mind. You aren’t someone who is somehow flawed, weak, and more vulnerable to the evil weed, simply because you USED to smoke.

Congrats again. Enjoy the rest of your life!