Quotes you try to live your life by.

Never volunteer information. – D.A. Felton

“This man [name] is a [nationality] who says, ‘all [people of same nationality] are liars.’ Is he telling the truth or lying?”

Unknown, I think. The ancient liars paradox. I also live by my own advice of “you create more problems than solutions by following others advice for something that has not affected you.” Sure, it is not profound; it just helps me think for myself.

1. Each day when you awaken, promise to be better than you were yesterday.
  2. Repeat as necessary.
  • Kind of came up with this one myself.

Illegitimi non carborundum (Don’t let the bastards grind you down).

• Unknown

You can’t please veryone, so you’ve got to please yourself

• Rick Nelson

Just remembered the other one:

If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.

And of course, that would be EVERYONE - not VERYONE…

You’d think I’d learn by now - Here’s my latest quote to live my SDMB life by:

Preview is my friend

:smack:

I would rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special. - Steel Magnolias

And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. - Abe Lincoln

Yeild to temptation, it may not pass your way again. - Unknown

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Already there are things I am disappointed I did not do (or try to do) so this one I take close to heart.

That which does not make me stronger, kills me.

i.e., don’t sit on your ass all day, go try something new!

Revenge is better than Christmas. - Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

Well, “Thanks to TP!” has already been taken, so how about:

It’s not a man’s ability that should be praised, it’s the purpose he allows his ability to serve.

:slight_smile:

If it can be remedied, why be unhappy about it?
If it cannot be remedied, what use is being unhappy about it?

(Bodhicaryavatara, VI/10)

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.” Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night.

see sig

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, co-operate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. – Robert Heinlein

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. – Aristotle

Iron rusts from disuse, stagnant water loses its purity, and in cold weather becomes frozen, even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind. – Leonardo da Vinci

It is in vain to hope to please all alike. Let a man stand with his face in what direction he will, he must necessarily turn his back on one half of the world. – George Dennison

Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one’s self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older persons, especially if vain or important, cannot learn at all. – Thomas Szasz

He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money. – Benjamin Franklin

When I hear somebody sigh, “Life is hard,” I am always tempted to ask, “Compared to what?” – Sydney J. Harris

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. – Barry Switzer

Men of genius are often dull and inert in society, as a blazing meteor when it descends to earth, is only a stone. – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

All the world’s a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed. – Sean O’Casey

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. – Blaise Pascal

If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing. – Anatole France

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. – Will Durant

There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking. – Theodore Rubin

True education makes for inequality; the inequality of individuality, the inequality of success, the glorious inequality of talent, of genius; for inequality, not mediocrity, individual superiority, not standardization, is the measure of the progress of the world. – Felix E. Schelling

“When in doubt, throw it out”

• I’ve seen this credited to Ann Landers or Dear Abby (don’t remember which).

“Whatever it may bring
I will live by my own policies.
I will sleep with a clear conscience,
I will sleep in peace.”
-Sinéad O’Connor

You choose by (not) doing.

That one is from my father, and means “actions speak louder of our real intentions then our words do”.

“The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time,
- there ain’t nothin’ to it,
- any fool can do it.”
James Taylor
“I believe a man should be, beholden to his neighbour, without the reward of heaven or the fear of eternal hellfire.”
Perth County Conspiracy

(Because I go to the opposite extreme, I keep this in mind as a counter-balance…)
If there is a conflict between your heart and your head, follow your head. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

God damn it, you have to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater

It isn’t supposed to be easy, it is supposed to be worth doing.
-I have no idea who first said this.

It is what it is.
-My brother

The world doesn’t owe you a damn thing. One day you’ll die. The sun will still come up the next morning.
-My father

I come from a group of very hard working, no nonsense people.