Quotes you try to live your life by.

We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy. – Joseph Campbell

And the ever popular…

Forgive quickly;
Kiss slowly.

“When life hands you lemons, say ‘yeah, I like lemons. what else ya got?’” --Henry Rollins

Hard work pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now

:slight_smile:

Fixed link

Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans. - John Lennon.

“Nothing ventured, nothing gained.” – my Mom

She was right.
“The easiest way to stop smoking is never to start.” – 7th grade health class movie.

That one worked for me.

“Do not feed the Bears” and “Where da white women at?”

“Each day that we awake is a new start, another chance. Why waste it on self-pity, sloth, and selfishness? Roll that day around on your tongue, relish the taste of its freedom. Breathe deeply of the morning air, savour the fragrance of opportunity. Run your hands along the spine of those precious 24 hours and feel the strength in the sinew bone. Life is raw material. We are artisans. We can sculpt our existence into something beautiful, or debase it in ugliness. It’s in out hands.”

“Stand the gaff, play fair; be a good man to camp out with.”

and

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” - Theodore Roosevelt

“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.” - John Stuart Mill

“…if they move my desk one more time, then, then i’m, i’m quitting, i’m going to quit.” -Milton Waddams, Office Space
“If you dont have anything to say… say ‘Poop’.” -me

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” - Arthur C. Clarke.

. . . ah yes, words to live by . . .

Rather than reproduce them here, I’ll just link to my Advice to live by page - a page of more or less exactly this type of thing.

With permission, I may be digging through this thread later to get various additions of to it. :slight_smile:

“In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the Learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.”

- Erick Hoffer

Yet another Heinlein quote:
Anyone who clings to the historically untrue - and thoroughly immoral - doctrine ‘that violence never settles anything’ I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom. ~ R. Heinlein

Several of my favorites have already been quoted, here’s a fun one that I felt like sharing:

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
Mae West

If it is to be, it is up to me.

Don’t wish your life away - My mom

Anything worth having, is worth working for - My Dad

Damn the Torpedoes, Full speed ahead! - Not sure where this is originally from (but would love to if anyone knows), but it was often said about my little sister’s “I can do it MYSELF” attitude as a kid, and carried over to both our lives as we became young women.

Careful! It’s Hot!

"Don’t make me come in there!’ - every parent

“Trust me, I know what I’m doing.” - Sledge Hammer

‘Always pay attention’-

my mom. Man, was she right.