R.I.P. Charlie Daniels

:disappointed_relieved:

He was a bigoted, right-wing asshole, but man did he produce some great music. Sorry to see him go.

Time to dive into his back catalog, because there is some righteous shit in there.

It’s a pity that the man who wrote and performed, “Uneasy Rider” became that, but he did. Loud and proud. I liked Marshall Tucker Band’s, “24 Hours at a Time” (the live version), and he contributed on that, but I keep coming back to the quote above.

Orange Blossom Special.

Too bad he became such a right-wing A-hole because damn that guy could fiddle.

He probably stroked out from seeing all of his beloved symbols being torn down. But, I’m sure they covered him with a white sheet and now he gets to give the Devil his fiddle back in person.

If someone asked me six months ago about famous singers in my area I would have come up with two. Little Richard lived in the same general area I live in. And I passed right by Charlie Daniels house on the way to and from work - well, a mile or two from his house but I think his property goes to the road.

I saw him at a county fair a few years ago. The highlight was a local high school girl got to play fiddle with him on The Devil Went Down to Georgia. One was Johnny and one was the devil.

Yeah, he had some… problematic opinions. But boy, what a talent. I saw CDB perform live many times back in the '80s and '90s. Always a kick-ass show.

I hope he’s found peace.

Which was which?

Personally, I always liked the Devil’s song better than Johnny’s.

Yeah, Johnny really lost that duel. It’s called “hubris,” you little Georgia pissant! Look it up (if you can read.) You called up the Devil with a boast your cracker ass couldn’t back up, no matter what the songwriter says.

Well… I worded my post that way on purpose. I can’t remember which one played the devil. I think the girl played the devil, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, he had a pile of faults. But, when a friend of mine at his label asked him to meet/greet me and my kids, he was the most gracious guy you could imagine. He took us onto his tour bus, served us soft drinks, and chatted. My kids were preteen/early teen and he really treated them well. He then took us backstage and got someone to set some seats up for us.