R.I.P. Earl Scruggs

I grew up listening to bluegrass and country music. This leaves a huge hole in the heart of bluegrass music.

Kick-ass. I recognize Earl, Steve, Vince, and Paul. Do you know who’s who on the rest of the instruments?

I can help with some of them: That’s Randy Scruggs on acoustic guitar (at 0:49), Marty Stuart on mandolin (at 2:00), Albert Lee on electric guitar (at 2:25), Jerry Douglas on dobro (at 3:36), and Leon Russell on keyboards (at 3:49).

Sad news. Another legend has passed.

Thanks for this. I remember being a young banjo player around 1978 or so, and knowing full well who Earl Scruggs was. I had no idea who Bela Fleck was, and I first read about him in Banjo Newsletter around that time. Back when it was printed, and you had to wait once a month for it to be delivered. Where did those days go?

In some ways, Earl will always belong to the past. But he was always a man of the present, and the future, a true pioneer. He will be greatly missed.

Wow. Great stuff. Albert Lee is just a freak of nature in terms of the clean, fluid runs he can execute. I hate the look of his signature Music Man guitar model, but there are few better players.

There’s a ton of horsepower in that video - and some amazing gear. Vince is playing his '52 Tele, Marty Stuart appears to be playing an old 20’s F5 mandolin (like Bill Monroe’s), and Randy Scruggs appears to be playing an original, late-'30’s Gibson Advanced Jumbo, a very rare and pricey guitar. I played one a couple of months ago - a 1937 that had a lot of restoration done to it so it was a “steal” at $50,000. Oy.

Boy will Scruggs be missed.

Martin is no slouch on that thang, either. Surprised Paul Shaffer didn’t get whiplash.

Sad day for music, an innovator and a huge influence on all.
RIP Earl

[Sniff] It has been too long since I have treated myself to some ass-kicking bluegrass. Keep the links coming, please.

I once spent hours on YouTube watching videos of Albert Lee and Vince Gill. I’d thought for years that Gill was just another country music guy, but I tell you what: when he wants to cook, he cooks on high heat.

Missing someone I first heard in 1958. Have all their albums(on vinyl) from the old days. Saw them at festivals.

It’s rare to know just who, factually, was the originator of such a thing. In this case, it’s documented for history.

PS I apologize for diverting, but it’s in the spirit; here’s an example with danny gatton:

Here he is, in his 80s, doing The Ballad of Jed Clampett.

Does this mean that Steve Martin is the best, extant banjo player?

Steve Martin wrote a really nice article about Earl Scruggs.

I just taught Earl’s solo for the 1947 Bill Monroe recording of “Molly and Tenbrooks” earlier tonight.
Earl didn’t invent bluegrass banjo out of thin air, he was influenced by a handful of pickers, but he sure put it on the map.
You want to listen to somethin’ great? Find the album The Storyteller and the Banjo Man by Tom T. Hall and Earl Scruggs. Produced by his son Randy, great songs, great feel.
I’m playin’ a gig Saturday night, I’ll pick to his memory.
David

That’s too bad. The last few years I have been getting into blue grass music and have been listening to a lot of his work.

RIP

[quote=“Maserschmidt, post:32, topic:617102”]

PS I apologize for diverting, but it’s in the spirit; here’s an example with danny gatton:

[/QUOTE]

Outstanding find.

The next generation should be in good hands - I give you the Sleepy Man Banjo Boys’ version of Foggy Mountain. The timing is a bit ragged, but the kid playing banjo is only 9 years old. A few more years of bedroom jams, and they should nail it. I urge everyone in this thread to “favorite” them and “subscribe”.

Ouch. Something just flew into my eye, making it leak. If I had a bucket list, it would include playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown note-for-note with Earl.

I actually owned a banjo for a few years, but my stupid fingers couldn’t learn how to play the melody among all the other racket. Nailed the “In and Out” roll, though.

To save everyone a lot of bother, here is a YouTube search link for “Foggy Mountain Breakdown”.

p.s. It is awesome that Paul Schafer can play FMB on piano.

[quote=“Maserschmidt, post:32, topic:617102”]

[/QUOTE]

Hmm - the video and audio aren’t lining up so I can’t fully appreciate the guitar work, but yes, Vince Gill is a real gunslinger. Brad Paisley is, too.

Ike Witt: I am not a banjo player or travel in big banjo circles, but I seriously doubt that Steve Martin is viewed as anything more that a really solid player worthy of respect by banjo pro’s.

Bela Fleck is the guy that comes to mind, but a lot of his playing is non-traditional.