R.I.P. Earl Scruggs

One of the greatest banjo players of all time passed away today. Earl Scruggs was 88.
[

](http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_EARL_SCRUGGS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-03-28-20-36-17)

Here he is performing his best known song, Foggy Mountain Breakdown with his partner Lester Flatt (the guy playing guitar on Earl’s left) at the Grand Ole Opry in 1965.

The guy was a true innovator and a class act.

RIP, Earl.

Sad new. Not unexpected given his age, but sad nonetheless.

20-something years ago I bought a 5-string banjo and his book. Great musician and communicator. RIP.

.Sad, sad news. I liked this article from the New Yorker, written by Steve Martin…
THE MASTER FROM FLINT HILL: EARL SCRUGGS

Damn.

It’s a sad comment that I only know of him from the Beverly Hillbillys theme song; but at least I know of him. Not sure I can say the same about any other banjo players, Neil Young aside. :wink:

Very sad news. Hearing the Beverly Hillbillys theme is what inspired Bela Fleck to take up the banjo.

he stayed active for a long time. good musician, lots of good tunes.

Try some Ground Speed: Earl Scruggs - Ground Speed - YouTube

A banjo among all those harps will sure liven it up, up there. RIP

That pretty much ends Bill Monroe’s old band. Earl Scruggs & Lester Flatt were a important part of the Blue Grass Boys. Bill, Earl, & Lester will never be forgotten.

RIP to a great banjo picker and an awsome human being. We loved you, Uncle Earl (an endearment by many of us who had the pleasure of meeting him).

One last jam with his friends.

Foggy Mountain Breakdown

Earl Scruggs with Glen Duncan, Randy Scruggs, Steve Martin, Vince Gill, Marty Stuart, Gary Scruggs, Albert Lee, Paul Shaffer, Jerry Douglas, and Leon Russell.
RIP Earl Scruggs.

I’m-a tappin’ my toes in his honor. RIP.

Earl Scruggs & Bela Fleck, Home Sweet Home

I’m glad for the few performances of his I got to see at Merlefest 2006. Rest in heavenly, syncopated peace, Earl.

I only know of Earl Scruggs from the Beverly Hillbillies, but he and Lester Flatt appeared in several episodes as well as performing the theme.

Here is Flatt and Scruggs’ own rendition of The Ballad of Jed Clampett (with Lester singing the lead instead of Jerry Scoggins).

RIP Earl

Your music broke the barrier for country.

Earl Scruggs, Earl’s Breakdown