R.I.P. Hal Holbrook

Hal Holbrook passed away on January 23 at the age of 95. He played Mark Twain longer than Samuel Clemens did.

He lived to 95, he always seemed old and I remember him from when I was a kid.
He was excellent on the Sopranos.

An old roommate of mine had Magnum Force on VHS. I enjoyed many happy hours watching Hal Holbrook play a baddie (not to mention evil Hutch, evil Otter and evil Spenser for Hire).

Superb actor. Well done old man, a life well lived. Whenever I think of Mark Twain I hear his voice.

Damn. I hadn’t heard that.

I’ve got a copy of his “play” Mark Twain Tonight, but he actually structured it as a series of vignettes he could mix and match for his audience. He was interviewed for Ken Burns’ PBS show on Twain, but his stuff didn’t make it into the show. You can hear it on the companion audio CD, where he talks about his experiences playing Twain for years.

Of course, Holbrook had many other roles. Just look him up on Wikipedia or IMDB.

I saw him do Mark Twain Tonight in 1974 (I think). I also remember him as Julia Sugarbaker’s boyfriend on Designing Women.

RIP, Hal. Now he’ll meet the real Mark Twain.

His wife, IRL.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Interesting.

What could be more satisfying in life than feeding Adrienne Barbeau to the Tasmanian Devil?

Serving up Richard Nixon to Woodward and Bernstein.

Holbrook played Deep Throat in All the President’s Men.

Wait, he’s not the guy from Barney Miller?

I had no idea!

That would be Hal Linden.

Same here. I think he was born avuncular. :smiley:

Now he has joined Chaucer, Milton, Shakespeare, and the real Mark Twain.

I feel bad for laughing at this time, but Damn, that’s funny!

Uh, Burp, we need to talk…

Wouldn’t it be something if reports of his death are greatly exaggerated? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You figure he hooked up with Julie Strain and the two of them ran off together?

Things like this do seem to be happening more frequently these days. :confounded:

How about sending a fake radio message to attract the Imperial Japanese Navy to an ambush at Midway so you can send them all to a watery hell?

When I was in high school, one of his relatives was my English teacher. Hal was the guest speaker for one class session.