Rachel Dolezal learns what life is really like for many blacks

Schwarze-negger, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rz1mps_XM

Arnold explains about his name in this old David Letterman clip a little past the 3 minute mark apparently its pronounced like Schwarzen-egger, and means “Black Plowman”

I’m with you. She had black siblings, identifies with black culture, had a child with a dark-skinned man, and she actually had a position working for the NAACP. She’s a bit odd, but she seems like someone who tried to do good?

Yeah, maybe she’s a pathological liar. Or maybe her parents really did alienate her that much that she just gave up on being white. Maybe a bit of both.

Yeah, a lot of Americans of different ethnic backgrounds have just decided to be “Italian.” Might actually be Albanian, or Jewish, or might do it even if they’re really black and Seminole and their last name is something like “Nelson.” It’s hard for me to grasp the sheer ignorance of black people who don’t know that racial identity is already pretty fluid for black Americans, and don’t get that a woman with a black child and a dark-skinned Haitian ward who is a pan-Africanist really can’t just “go back to being white” without ripping her heart out.

It’s actually *schwarzen-Egger. *“Black ploughman,” roughly, though I think *Egg *is closer to “harrow” (the implement) than to “plow.”

Now you’re just egging them on.

All this is making me remember when my paternal grandmother, an Austrian-American war bride who went from assisting Wehrmacht doctors in surgery after Anschluss to thinking young men were peering into her bathroom through solid walls, who was adamant that Schwarzenegger had become a persona non grata in his home town. I mean, she left Europe right after the war and certainly didn’t travel often or call a lot when long-distance was expensive, that would have been wasting money, something she never, ever did. She simply knew. Saves money that way.

Where was I going with this? Oh, yeah: Schwarzenegger never claimed to be a Schwarzen*gger. The roid monkey’s not that delusional.

So the term “homeless” includes those living on the streets along with everyone that lives in an apartment or other form of rental? Because, you know, they don’t own a home. :smack::rolleyes: Gimme a freaking break.

And she is Rachel Dolezal no longer.

Meet Nkechi Amare Diallo.

No cashews of almonds with this one, just plain nuts.

I don’t think changing her name to something “African” is particularly nuts, given her cultural identification.

Now, as for her cultural identity being nuts, how do you figure? If a man from Nigeria moves to Germany and decides to be “Gerhard Berger,” is that nuts? If he stayed in Nigeria, but was a student of German culture, and started answering to “Gerhard Berger,” would that be nuts? I’m not so sure.

What cultural identification?
The name is the pastiche of the Nigeria, of the Senegalese Peul…

Your example is better if the Nigerian moves to London and decides to name himself Johnson François Bömer to sound “european”…

Cultural identity is fine. Just don’t lie about your past to get an advantage.

She’s becoming another Espera Oscar de Corti.

It’s clear that she’s changing her name because her birth name is now tainted. Not just because she identifies as black.

But yes, if I met a black dude who 1) changed his name to completely erase his African-ness and 2)lied about his past to portray himself as a white European, then I would feel certain that he had some psychological issues, or at least some racial hang-ups.

Do I think he’s a evil demon deserving of lifelong ridicule? No. But would such a person make me feel uncomfortable? Yes. Compulsive liars and exaggerators tend to have that effect on me.

Some black Americans have done this very thing: taking new names that are in fact pastiches of different African ethncities that have no relation to each other. In general, most black Americans are as uninformed about Africa as other Americans.

That fits her pan-Africanism, though.

And really, that’s not that strange for a North American name. Take “Donald John Trump”: Please!
“Donald” is Scots, “John” is English from a Hebrew root, and “Trump” is some sort of continental German. All European, all “white,” but patched together sort of arbitrarily.

I wonder if is a coincidence that she took the same last name as the man who’s murder is symbolic of the modern era of completely unwarranted and extreme white-on-black violence.

No it has not a thing to do with pan Africanism. In africa we are not taking random names from the different regions and religions and cultures and making random combination.

perhaps it is the american afrocenrism, but that does not fit the stupid example you used.

north american meltiing pot of names is not the example you ignorantly used, it was of the Nigerian to German culture.

??

Sorry, Ramira. That was American-centric of me.

In 1999, the New York City police fired 41 shots at an unarmed man named Amadou Diallo, landing 19 of them. The level of overkill is one of the things that made the case so remarkable.

I think for many white Americans, Amadou Diallo’s murder really brought home how hazardous having brown skin it can truly be.

I think it’s more symbolic of why so many people, of varying ideologies, dislike Dolezal.

She’s taken the name the name of somebody who was killed by the police. But Dolezal was not killed by the police. She’s just trying to associate herself with somebody who experienced something she did not herself experience.

And that’s been her whole adult life. Dolezal is not black. She never had to experience the problems that actual black people have experienced. She wants the mantle of victimhood without having to be a victim.

BTW - I specified “modern era” because Emmett Till’s murder happened in 1955.

It was recently revealed that the woman he supposedly flirted with admitted making it up.
ETA: Little Nemo - good point