Rand Paul And Fauci

So, we’re in agreement that the previous guy shouldn’t have cut the program for monitoring. Progress, progress…

Are you suggesting that anyone was capable of monitoring China?

No, I have a question about your take on Rand Paul’s position on the same topic you have been harping on re: Dr. Fauci.

It takes 2 to harp. I made a simple factual statement that I backed up with cites. This was followed by attempts to justify his position saying the science didn’t back up masking when it was known from day one it was a respiratory illness most likely spreading rapidly from airborne contact and not from handling bats.

Dr Fauci was the spokesperson on the issue. It is his word that carriers weight. Not Trump’s, Pelosi, or anyone else.

Cites that as me and others noted, the headlines of the articles you cited were not exactly what Fauci did say. Try again.

I disagree with the “believe at the time” position. It’s not logical and has no scientific basis. the argument is essentially “we don’t know how it spreads so we’ll ignore the most dangerous option until proven otherwise”.

If you’re talking abut “Fauci lied about masks.”, then no, that statement isn’t factual at all.

I cited his exact words.

But you didn’t “back up” your false claim that he lied.

You do not understand the concept of time, then?

I gave the logic behind the statement. It wasn’t logical to use “we don’t know” as an excuse to advise that masks would not help the general populace.

If you apply the concept of time to a pandemic then the best advise would be to mask up. And that could have been done by actively encouraging people to make masks along with the best way to do it.

Fortunately, that wasn’t the logic. The logic was that there was a shortage of masks for those who needed them most, and a lack of data to suggest that homemade masks were in any way effective. There was, at the time, no “best way” to make them.

That said, they did start doing studies on homemade masks, seeing if they could help. And it tuned out that, if you made them the right way, you could help. So what did Fauci and the CDC do? They immediately started telling everyone how to make homemade masks. I remember when it happened.

You just keep arguing with hindsight bias. We know now that homemade cloth masks were useful. But we didn’t know that then. The model for how the virus spread was wrong, and we only had data on the types of masks that were in short supply.

The question I have for you is: why is it so important to you to argue that Fauci did something wrong? What is the end goal here? Are we supposed to not listen to him now? Or is it just an attempt to deflect blame for the pandemic onto him and not the people who discouraged masks even after the science was in, or which refused to follow the science on lockdowns and reducing travel?

They’re the ones at fault. Not the guy who reported the best science we had at the time, who was trying to save lives by making sure that the masks we had actual data on were available to the medical workers who needed them most.

It doesn’t make Dr Fauci Satan incarnate. I haven’t called him names. I don’t think he’s a bad person. I just pointed out a misstep in his early approach.

The rewriting of history was on display a little upthread. Taking heat off of Trump’s inept response seems to me to be the goal. An admittance of “Sure, we fucked this up at the beginning. Fauci did that.”

I will repeat @Czarcasm’s question. What do you think of Rand Paul lying about masks as recent as a few months ago? I’ll add to that what do you think about Rand Paul’s other massive lies stated in this thread? How does this affect his credibility regarding covid, wuhan or anything at all for that matter?

I would ask you the same thing. Why is it so important to argue his actions were without fault?

I tried to find a sewing group I could back with a donation in the early months. It wasn’t on anybody’s radar. I think it would caught on like wildfire if it was promoted better.

Well, when a good man is slandered baselessly, some people feel obliged to speak up.

This was a sports-politics thread from the beginning.

I had to choose between going to the funeral of a close friend and the funeral of a relative last Tuesday.
This is not a fucking game to me.

Not for me, it ain’t.