Rand Paul And Fauci

I wanna buy his neighbor a beer.

He’s probably referring to BS like this. Dr. Fauci did advise people to not hoard masks and quarantine and social distance instead, as there weren’t even enough for health care workers at the beginning of the pandemic. And this was also before we knew how covid spread or that widespread asymptomatic cases existed. Trumpists/Conservatives/Republicans have been marching this out of context statement for a very long time.

Oh, that’s really something. (Utter sarcasm follows) No wonder nobody took the virus seriously! It’s not like the so-called President spent every waking minute downplaying the seriousness of the threat, or outright mocking the wearing of masks. I see it’s Dr. Fauci’s fault that people weren’t wearing masks.(Sarcasm ends)
What a disingenuous load of horseshit.

I was just coming in to say the exact same thing. I’m just quoting it so that people can see it more than once.

Did anything come of this? My interpretation is not “Sen. Paul means business”, as the article asserts, but rather that he is continuing to engage in ridiculous theatrics.

I assume the DOJ took proper action on his request.

It’s not bullshit. It’s a fact.

Fauci wrote: "Masks are really for infected people to prevent them from spreading infection to people who are not infected rather than protecting uninfected people from acquiring infection.

“The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through material. It might, however, provide some slight benefit in keep out gross droplets if someone coughs or sneezes on you.”

You know, Fauci and those fascists on the left need to just go away. If you say something you need to stick with it regardless of new information you learn, or if new variants behave differently. If you don’t stick with it you’re a liar and nobody can trust you.

/s

(For the record, the statement from Fauci was from an email February 5, 2020. Info was scarce then. Within a couple of months, after gathering more data, having more studies, and so on the recommendations changed. Of course people who just want to play gotcha ignore all of that.)

Why are you misrepresenting what happened? The people paying attention at the time know exactly what happened and it was exactly as @Jihi stated.

1. Early March, Fauci states that people don’t need cheap drug store masks as they have limited protection AND N95’s are needed for healthcare workers. Only symptomatic people need to wear masks.

2. Asymptomatic and presymptomatic cases prompt both Fauci and the CDC to suggest wearing masks as source control. This is called evolving advice based on evolving science.

3. Later both Fauci and the CDC suggest double-masking to protect the wearer when more contagious variants arise.

I’m somewhat surprised that you were unaware of this considering you are bothering to reply in these threads as though you have an interest. These things were all over the news.

We knew from day one it affected the lungs. Fauci knew this and would go on to say later on that masks are a good idea. He even explained his earlier remarks.

So, why weren’t we told to wear masks in the beginning?

“Well, the reason for that is that we were concerned the public health community, and many people were saying this, were concerned that it was at a time when personal protective equipment, including the N95 masks and the surgical masks, were in very short supply. And we wanted to make sure that the people namely, the health care workers, who were brave enough to put themselves in a harm way, to take care of people who you know were infected with the coronavirus and the danger of them getting infected.”

So he’s admitting he lied to protect the supply of masks. Had he been truthful he would have told Americans of the benefits of masks early in the pandemic. We could have stepped up and made masks earlier than was done.

(bolding mine)

Maybe Magiver is forgetting the typical masks available in drugstores back then. There weren’t surgical or N-95’s to be found. The ones my lab ordered on March 3rd as soon as we realized there would be shortages were on backorder for months.

True. Even today the guidance is to use a good, multi-layer mask, and not just toss on a bandana or gaiter. Where I work in state government we have mask mandates and we are supposed to wear real masks, not a thin single-layer napkin on our faces.

And yet the recommendation to wear a mask changes later on. And I quoted Fauci himself as to why he did it.

Imagine what would have occurred if the advise was to wear a mask early on. Either it’s health guidelines theater or it saves lives and would have helped to reduce the spread when it first started…

Yeah, yeah, I got it. Your hangup here is to label Fauci as a liar. Cool. You’re a Trump supporter, no? Do you have a real big issue with people who lie?

Imagine what would have occurred if the so-called President hadn’t labelled the fucking thing a hoax.

It’s not a hangup. it’s a FACT that he lied about masks. There were threads on this board on the use of masks. People were denigrated early on for suggesting they would save lives.

here’s an example:

You can be convinced that Dr. Fauci lied about masks, but you’re not convincing anyone else.
Dr Fauci has been, this whole time, trying to save lives. Nice enemy you have there.

What is your opinion of Rand Paul?

I cited his own words on why he did it. It’s not up for debate. He admits doing it. His failure in this regard has likely killed a lot of people.

I’m not sure why you’re defending him.