Random thoughts and questions

Cecil has addressed this one before: strong evidence that your head stays conscious for up to 30 seconds after the cut.

My examples included situations with the same motives. Jet ski vs. car. Protester vs. random vandal. I don’t see throwing a brick through a car window as okay if it’s for a cause. Chances are, the driver did nothing to you or your cause.

He’s doing tons of writing. It appears more that he’s lost interest in this particular story.

Strongly disagree. Being involved and speaking to others on politics is a prerequisite to voting. Yet society has caused that to incur risks that voting does not. The obvious incentive is more people voting without knowledge. There’s a reason that the founders decided to protect freedom of discourse before voting rights.

Cecil doesn’t exactly cite “strong evidence”, and more Dopers disagree with him than agree.

Fairly easy to kill someone quickly and painlessly. But our government desires to avoid mess while inflicting brutality - a tricky proposition.

I think he’s lost interest in his asshole fans.

His response to fans speculating about his health, and whether he will finish the series before he dies, couldn’t be any clearer or more explicit…

I’ll take that as a “no, he’s not finishing it”.

There has been a similar issue with the current method of lethal injection, which certain states have had to find creative ways around, but they managed.

(numbers added)

I’m guessing you don’t know much about opiates and are extrapolating from some other narcotic or maybe fictional depictions? Having worked with addicts and also living in one of the prime areas of the opiate epidemic, I’ve learned far more than I’d like:

1. Collapsed veins are an issue, but really not a greater issue than conventional lethal injection, and certainly not an insurmountable obstacle for professionals

2. Gasping isn’t really a thing. Opiates render one unconscious long before there are breathing issues. In fact, the breathing issues are dependant on the lack of consciousness, it’s an issue of sedation, not something like an asthma attack. Maybe dosage might have been an issue in the past, but current opiates are so powerful that even skin contact with a trivial amount of medical grade fentynal can cause an accidental overdose, and there’s now things orders of magnitude more powerful than that. There is no issue ensuring a fatal dose for even someone with the constitution and tolerance of a life long elephant sized addict.

3. Unconsciousness is a preresiquite of overdose, and there are no intermediate stages with pain. That’s kind of the point of the drug.

4. In this case, the strength disparity is so great, that a guaranteed overdose requires a sample so small that no modifications to the procedure are needed. The only concern I can envision is accidental transfer.

Again, I’m not suggesting we do this, as CP is a bad idea for all sorts of reasons, but just to show that, we certainly have the capability to make it a painless procedure, there is simply no interest in doing so.

All people who support the death penalty, by their own logic also deserve it already.

1. 10 episodes requires a smaller initial investment.
  2. Allows for a more concise story arch. No need for monster/murder of the week to pad it out.
  3. Much easier to binge watch.
  4. #3 Allows more word of mouth, as well as faster feedback on what did and did not work in the first season.
  5. All the above allows for a faster production of season 2 (if a hit) or cancellation (if a bomb)

These are interesting questions.

1. I think because lethal injection has to feel scientific and like a punishment. Technically we could just give them a huge dose of pentobarbital like we do with dogs and cats. It seems to work for them. But I guess making it feel scientific and like punishment is important, so a one drug cocktail isn’t enough. Or we could just knock them out with pentobarbital, and then shoot them in the head or use nitrogen asphyxiation after they are unconscious. But that feels brutal, and the government has to make execution feel like punishment without being too brutal, and they have to make it convoluted and scientific to separate it from the mass killings in dictatorships (where they just line people up and shoot them).

2. It probably has to do with the equation ‘risk = hazard x outrage’. So something that has a high hazard but low outrage (like drowning in a pool) gets very little airtime but something like a school shooting (low hazard, high outrage) is seen as very risky.

1. I think people are afraid if they rush him, he will just create a total piece of garbage so its better to let him go at his own pace.

2. I’ve never noticed.

3. I can’t speak for childhood maturity, but in adulthood there is a correlation between positive life outcomes and intelligence. Intelligence is correlated with general success in life (chances of a marriage succeeding, chances of ending up in prison, chances of being on welfare, etc).

1. Personally I’d be pretty pissed if I got fired for political activity outside the workplace. You might as well fire me for being in an interracial relationship or a gay relationship.

2. This article has some info.

1. I don’t know.

2. Eh. Republicans mocked John Kerry for his war wounds. Trump mocked John McCain for being captured. This is just an excuse for right wingers to be offended about something they themselves do.

3. I don’t know how common this attitude is. I’m a pretty partisan voter and tend to vote the same party for both legislative and executive and do that for state/federal/local. The only exception I make is law enforcement and prosecutor positions, where I vote libertarian when possible. I think its more an individual attitude. I remember when Obama won Indiana, but Mitch Daniels won the governorship by an 18 point margin. People were voting for the democrat on the federal executive level but the republican on the state executive level. I think it comes down to individual preference. If there is a pattern, I don’t know it.

Professionals??? Like a licensed doctor or some such? Performing an execution? Um, you really need to read up on this stuff.

The whole thing with the US execution system is that it’s a bunch of 4th rate know nothings.

Look at the guy who built the electric chair used in the recent Kentucky case: “… an electric chair built by a self-taught execution expert who is no longer welcome in the prison system.”

“A self-taught execution expert” is another way of saying “A fringe kook who doesn’t know squat.”

These are the people who are making the decisions, setting the dosages, and so on.

There is nothing “professional” going on here.

You are clearly unfamiliar with David Gerrold.

I’d guess it really comes down to the nature of that activity; if we’re talking about an employee getting fired because they volunteered for a Republican while the bosses were Democrats, I’m pretty sure that would be against the law in many states, and grounds for a lawsuit in many others, even if it’s not technically illegal.

However, if that political activity is attending neo-Nazi rallies, I’d think that if you were the person doing the firing, you could put a hate speech spin on it somehow and take it out of the strictly political arena.

My guess is that it’s inertia that keeps the major networks with the 22 episode season- they have a specific schedule to fill that revolves around seasons of that size, so I suspect that people pitching pilots have to conform to that expectation.

Cable networks have no such expectation, so the seasons tend to be shorter- between 8 and 15 episodes, with 10 being the most common- no need to stretch things and do garbage like clip shows or guest stars or “very special episodes”.

I have a thread about it actually…
As for the professionalism of the capital punishment industry; it’s because medical professionals are ethically bound not to have anything to do with it. My brother dated a girl in college whose father was one of the doctors who merely pronounced the executed inmates dead afterward here in Texas, and he apparently caught a massive amount of static and opprobrium from various ethical organizations and the state medical board just for being involved to that tiny extent. Based on that, I’d think they’d yank your license if you were actually involved in work concerning how to best kill people.

So you get weird, creepy cranks who get some kind of charge out of being involved with that kind of thing.

It’s also crazy that a MILLION are in jail because they can’t afford bail (US)… I saw this documentary on Fred Lochtner (sp?) which wasn’t that good, and it sparked some revionist historians like David Irving… I don’t understand the “We’re going to kill you because you killed someone”. In Michigan, our first case was found out to be incorrect, so we got rid of it.

You do realize that the default in the legal system if you’re charged with a crime is that you’re detained/incarcerated until your trial. Bail is just a way of ensuring that you’ll show up for your trial.

In other words, if you don’t show up, you forfeit your bail. So it’s in your interest to show up if you want to see that money again.

People talk about this like it’s a travesty that people stay in jail if they can’t afford bail. Uh… that’s the default. They(the legal system) doesn’t owe it to you to release you. I would say they have an obligation to set bail at an appropriate level based on the crime that you’re charged with- i.e. no $500 bail for murders, or $500,000 bails for minor theft.

And judges aren’t required to grant bail if they consider you too much of a flight risk, or for various other reasons like if another jurisdiction has warrants for you- they may deny bail long enough for the other jurisdiction to pursue their charges.

I have no idea what country you’re talking about but that is not the case in the US.

People get picked up all the time for very petty stuff, a lot of times they didn’t do it. The bail is “reasonable” only if you fail to realize how poor these folks are. So they have two options: sit in jail waiting trial for a half year or longer (losing jobs, housing, getting their car repossessed, etc.) or take a deal which might get them out sooner if not right away but then have a criminal record.

The public defender is someone who sees you for 5 minutes, tells you what the plea offer is, tells you to take it and leaves. They don’t care if you are actually innocent or anything.

If you’ve actually lost what little you have, sitting in jail til trail is basically your only option.

You’re missing the point- bail isn’t some kind of feel-good thing- it’s literally a way to ensure you’ll show up to your trial and nothing else. It’s not intended to make sure you can keep your job, or any of that other stuff. The whole point is for it to be onerous- if it wasn’t, people would be far more tempted to just skip the court date entirely and take their chances with getting caught again.

Now whether or not the bail levels are reasonable is a different matter- I think the presence of the bail bond industry probably skews that a great deal.

The default is that people are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Bail is a way to punish poor people who can’t afford it. Even if you use a bail bondsman the fee is 10% of the bail amount.

Cases where people jump bail are fairly rare. New Jersey had major bail system reform and California have done away with cash bail, and the programs have been very successful.

But that’s not what really happens in practice. There are many anecdotes about people who spent months in jail because they couldn’t afford bail, lost their job, and were later found not guilty at trial.

In New Jersey, there is a risk assessment to determine if a person is required to post bail. The jails are under less stress, rates of murders, robberies, and assaults dropped.