I have decided to face my superstitious fears, one by one. Biggest one first: what if the Sun suddenly turns tomato red and slinks across the sky no brighter in visible light than the moon?
Scientists assure us the Sun has billions of years more to go. Sure, but it’s not like they dont make mistakes. “Oopsie, hey, we got this equation sorta jumbled up, upon recalculating, the Sun was due to die, like, last year. Goodbye, guys.”
I hear the Sun being non-convective, will only mix 10% of its hydrogen before moving off the main sequence. (The scientists could be wrong here, too.) Sorta wasting the remaining 90% of the hydrogen which could keep it in the yellow of health for several billion more years.
I cannot afford the career disruption this would bring; I need to know how soon before we can restore the ball to a healthy, glowing yellow again.
Do we have any technology in the current era to re-ignite the dying Sun by getting fresh H2 to the core? Perhaps we could smash Mercury into the Sun to cause some productive churning? Or is Venus a better bet? Will the “cure” cause a nova and thereby prove worse than the disease?
Need answer FAST: this has been keeping me awake at night.