Re-igniting the dying Sun

Since the OP is positing that scientists messed up their predictions of the Suns evolution, I’m assuming it doesn’t balloon up to become a red giant.

So, mirrors. Very light weight mirrors, suspended by radiation pressure, surrounding enough of the Sun so that it’s temperature rises back to normal even with its reduced internal heat generation.

Leave a hole facing the Earth. Good luck…

That’s because there was essentially no actual science in the film. This one is just second to The Core in terms of gathering a great cast and spending millions on special effects and staging sequences all surrounding an utterly absurd essential plot element and then adding completely unnecessary drama on top of it.

For the o.p., no, there is nothing we can do with anything like conventional technology–not even massive thermonuclear weapons–which would make any significant impact on stellar characteristics or evolution.

Stranger

The problem is that it’s not just a matter of adding more hydrogen. You can add all the hydrogen you want to the outside, but all that does is raise the pressure/temperature in the core and cause it to burn what little fuel it has even faster. Some of the very biggest stars burn up the hydrogen in their cores within hundreds of thouands of years. The fact that they only burned a tiny percentage of their total hydrogen is no consolation to the planets that were blown up in a supernova before they could even form.

Really, if the goal is to keep the star going forever, the problem is that the sun is already too big. A red dwarf star puts out a lot less energy, but it uses its fuel much more efficiently so that more hydrogen gets burned over a lifespan that would be twenty or more times as long as the sun’s.

Therefore, if we’re considering outlandish things like moving stars and planets, my recommendation would be to build a red dwarf. The smallest red dwarf stars need only about 1% of the sun’s mass… which, alas, is still something like 200 Jupiters, and still makes it seem quite easy to just move the Earth instead.

We’ll not with that attitude mister!

…which would proceed to glow slightly brighter than present-day Venus, thereby returning life back to normal? Well, better than nothing, I guess.

It’s sounds like the sun suddenly lost mass and became a red dwarf. Those things burn practically forever so we just move the earth a little closer.

You folks are ignoring the obvious. Simply place a classified ad in the Inter-Galatic News. Wanted New Sun. And they will deliver it. People are buying suns all the time.

You’d have to be really close to it, obviously. And I’m not sure I’d call it normal, but as a panacea for an irrational fear that the sun might break, it does seem like the least likely to cause anxiety. :slight_smile:

Stranger is the egghead scientist in the movie telling all the heroes how this crazy plan can’t possibly work. Fear not, he’ll get his just desserts in a tragic yet comedic death about 2/3 through the movie.

Bombard it with reverse-polarity neutrino beams by using the secondary reflector shield!

They could try cross-circuiting to B.

Get the whales to talk to the sun.

I guess what the OP is asking is: Will mankind one day, without the net expenditure of energy, be able to restore the sun to its full youthfulness even after it had died of old age?

Or maybe it could be put more simply like this: How can the net amount of entropy of the universe be massively decreased?

I’d say the best answer to this question is: There is insufficient data for a meaningful answer at this time.

A Pail of Air by Fritz Leiber. Great story.

Asimov already solved this problem for us.

So we all look toward the Sun and chorus “Let there be light?” That simple? :eek:

Does not sound like a great technological civilization. Tribes in the swamps in Amazon would do similar. We Americans gotta do better.

But DON’T cross the beams!

But what if we launch it at night? :smiley:

How long has the sun been around? What are the odds that the sun would die right now, right when we’re so close (relatively) to colonizing other parts of the galaxy?

Don’t worry about it.