Re: Tanning and burning through glass

One point Cecil didn’t mention is that ordinary incandescent bulbs won’t tan (or burn either, unless you touch them). The filament doesn’t get nearly hot enough to produce significant UV.

Link to column: Can you tan through glass? – CKDH

Another refinement to Cecil’s discussion: the “ordinary clear glass” used in cars generally is not ordinary glass. Car makers typically use “solar control glass,” which is formulated to absorb as much UV as possible. This reduces the fading of the car interior and slows drying and decay of, for example, a dashboard.

I think Alice wins her bet. Cecil says she loses, but then goes on to explain how she could get a tan while driving across the desert. That some UV goes through the window.

If Cecil doesn’t want the lunch, then I’ll volunteer.

I have added to the OP a link to Cecil’s column. When you start a thread, it is helpful to the others if you provide a link to the column upon which you are commenting. Helps keep us all on the same page, avoid duplication, etc.

It may be obvious today, when the column is on the front page… but that will disappear in a few days time, and then we’ll have some puzzled readers.

So, in theory, I could make a pane of glass (or rather have one made…) that would block all UV rays below 3200, and then lie under it and tan, but have very little chance of burning?
If that’s the case, why aren’t there “Tanning Screens” sold all over the place? Is the process of making particular ‘frequencies’ of glass prohibitively expensive?

Tristen that sounds like a great idea. But how it would be better if it were flexible. Could a clear plastic sheet be created. Then you could just set it up like a tent, or a beach umbrella.

…or, you could put the stuff in bottles, much like UV blockers found in moder liquid sunscreens (as opposed to the antiquated sunscreens known as “walls”).

I know I’d buy it. I’m a lobster after cutting my small lawn in Miami in December.