Re TV show "Hardcore Pawn" - Is this show real or mainly scripted?

I saw the show once…man, most of their clients were pretty desperate people! It makes you realize just how bad the economy in Detroit is…and the fact that most of these folks have terrible credit makes them prey for all kinds of exploitation.

This show is most definitely scripted. Not every word, but the situations are set up. Some of the minor interactions are not set up but all of the ridiculous crazy people are sent in to act like fools. I am from the area and have been in that store. Yes, there are some crazy people out there and sometimes some crazy things happen, but these over the top crazy people screaming and yelling and taking off their clothes are NOT real!

On top of being from the area and familiar with this store, I am also in the film industry and this is just the way things are done.

They even use some of the same actors more than once. I saw an episode where a guy came in from Chicago for a meeting about buying their location in Pontiac and he happens to be the same actor that was in the store on another episode and he wasn’t from Chicago in that episode and he was screaming and yelling. And that is not the only actor I have seen more than once. Most people don’t notice these things unless they are very familiar with the industry. Obviously set up…

This is exactly how it works!!

It takes a lot of balls to stage a pawn-shop interaction.

Three, I guess.

If they’re made of brass, it’s even better.

Now they have and annoying “niece” working jewelry with Ashley the oompa-loompa.

I despise the show simply because the Gold family are awful, awful people. Why, you ask? I don’t know; they are just awful. I don’t root for them in the least bit.

Now, Rick Harrison on Pawn Stars might be the biggest asshole in the world in real life, but at least within the world of the show, he’s a nice guy and we can root for him, Chum, Corey, and the old man.

Even as portrayed, I hate Les Gold.

My brain tells me it’s scripted but that same brain tells me that, if it IS scripted, then they employ some of the best natural acting talent in Hollywood because almost every “customer” seems totally natural in their delivery.

Don’t you remember the episode where the gnarly chick took a piss in the parking lot on camera?

I do believe that most of the major item interactions are set up to make the show interesting on a “Pawn Stars” level, but I think most of the generic customer interactions are genuine, and that’s where alot of the entertainment comes from. Every crisis amongst the Gold family is scripted though. Didn’t that security guard that got fired for stealing magically show back up on the job in a later season?

Ashley looks hideous now but she wasn’t awful looking int he first season.

I would be willing to go as far as saying the customers are real but the storylines such as selling the Pontiac store or the pirate tower are scripted and at best are dramatizations of real life events.

I assumed that the people were told that if they were “more interesting”, they would be more likely to be featured on camera and be paid more than the hundred bucks or whatever they just give anyone shown in background.

It’s obviously scripted as the camera cuts from one angle to another and I’m pretty sure if those customers were really pissed or being kicked they ain’t gonna get much chance to have so many different angle. Oh sorry can you pause every few seconds while we get another angle