Reaction in your circles to the SCOTUS decision on health care reform?

My co-pay went up five bucks. :slight_smile:

During the primary, Obama didn’t want everyone to be force to pay, and Clinton did. Could you explain that last part the Republican alternative?

The most OTT reaction I’ve seen so far is from a Coast Guard retiree who has awesome healthcare coverage - WE NO LONGER LIVE IN A FREE COUNTRY. Ridiculous nonsense. I’ve never heard her complain about having to buy car insurance and THAT’S mandated.

The talk in my circles is of the worst case scenarios; being told what doctor to go to, or that you don’t get treatment for your particular condition because you are too old. And the 1.5 trillion or whatever price tag. It’s a tax because John Roberts called it that.

Worst thing is either way this decision went, health care costs will rise.

I have two vocally conservative friends on Facebook who have posted snide remarks about it (“So, when I see my doctor today, I can just tell the clerk that Obama will be sending a check for the bill?”), but most of my friends are quite pleased. At least a couple work in industries that are directly impacted by the decision, and I know there was a lot of panic about what the hell they were gonna do if the law was struck down.

Most folk I know don’t know what to think because we don’t know what it will mean.

Sure, we know what’s on paper**, but since when has that mattered when it came down to practical application?

**theoretically, anyway; does anyone know for sure? Did ANYone actually read it all?

raises hand I did.

As to the first part of your circle’s thinking, doesn’t all but the most expensive and comprehensive insurance policies do that now? As a single male with no real health problems in my 20s, it was like almost 400 a month to get insurance that good. I always went with the HMO or PPOs for like half that and have to choose a doctor from a huge list.

As to the second part, total absurdity.

Yay! That makes me feel better, even though, or especially, as it’s part of your job :smiley:

I’m actually serious. :stuck_out_tongue:

All the posts I have seen on FB are happy. But I move in restricted circles. My physician DIL is ecstatic. Although she lives and practices in the Massachusetts SSR. Me, living in the frozen northland, it doesn’t effect at all. Unless I decide to move south.

One friend is pissed because he proudly wanted to go his whole life without buying insurance. He probably will just pay the tax.

I personally am torn. I didn’t really like the law, saw the mandate as unconstitutional, but it was better than nothing. I’m especially concerned that they court DID strike down the part of the law concerning the federal government mandating that states expand medicaid. Evidently, states can thumb their nose at the federal government and not expand their medicaid market as the law described, which was supposed to be one of the main important ways poor people were going to get coverage.

I’m worried for the poor. I hope I’m wrong about the medicaid thing, but this seems like a big problem for poor people in conservative states where the governors and legislatures may refuse to expand medicaid.

I also hate this law because it’s a huge win for insurance companies.

Uniformly positive. Of course, that just shows who I surround myself with. Most of my FB friends are either left-wing or somewhat lefty, or seemingly apolitical. The tiny number of rightish people have been silent.

drewtwo99, I’m also concerned about that. People seem to either be unaware of it or not realize it’s potential impact.

The mandate is a win. Not being able to cherry-pick healthy customers is a loss. Being required to spend 80-85% of premiums on payments to providers is a loss.

An old friend of mine from high school developed breast cancer at age 26 while employed without insurance (because her employer, a restaurant, doesn’t offer health care to its employees). And I’m a dirty liberal atheist. What do *you *think? :wink:

I work at a health insurance company and the general feeling was, “sigh well, at least I know how hard Im going to be working for the next 12 months.” If it had been struck down the feeling would have been “sigh Well I guess everything I’ve been doing for the last 12 months is now worthless” We are a cheery group :wink:

The company did mange to send an email to employees before it even hit CNN, which I found surprising. I guess they had folks with all the possibilities with a finger on the send button.

The folks that I talk to about politics at work were happy. We huddled together after the news broke on the radio, talking in low whispers.

The other folks? I didn’t dare broach the topic with them.

As far as I can tell, absolutely no one I know was even following it. I did get a surprise with one of my strongly conservative Southern Baptist friends posting a repost on Facebook about…how gay people are not going to hell.

It doesn’t surprise me much. Most of my friends are my age or younger.

So far it’s 75% happy, 25% unhappy.

You know, if I was in a business where I got to keep 15-20% of the gross, I’d be pretty damn happy!

It’s true, it wasn’t ALL great for them. But overall they were really happy about it no doubt.

And that’s scary to me, because a win for insurance companies is a loss for all of us. It makes them more powerful. They can continue to lobby congress, and buy laws they want over time.

Like I said, I’m nervous about Obamacare but it’s better than nothing.