Real chefs recipes compared to mine

Butter starts burning from milk solids it contains, and olive oil also burns olive solids still in it, so it’s not surprising that the pair will burn as fast as either. Clarified butter can sustain higher temperatures as can a number of oils. But butter doesn’t magically turn to something else when it’s in the same pan with a different form of grease, it should burn at the same temperature.

That may explain why this is believed. Although maybe it’s possible for some oils to mix sufficiently to change the burning temperature I seriously doubt it could help when using unclarified butter.

My caramelized onions start out in butter over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Then I let them cool, add some beer, and vacuum seal the lot for an overnight sous vide.

When my gf makes oxtail soup, it is a multi-day effort, with the meal on day 3. I’m not sure what all she does, but my part comes on day 2 when I do the step involving flambe (that’s always mt job).

When I 1st saw the thread title, I thought it was about this:

I donwanna mess up the link, but if you click on it, there’s several other celebrities (one of whom at least is somewhat a “real chef”) dukin’ it out in the frozen aisle of Walmart.

But only one is sold out. I wonder what it was?

I’ve decided that it is Biscuits & Gravy with Cheesy Grits. I don’t know if that is an actual product or not, but it’s the one I would buy every one they had in stock.

And they aren’t really mashed. The potatoes are put through a ricer then drained of the water. Then forced through a cloth filter to eliminate any texture. The room temperature butter is folded in. More like a potato slurry it seems to me. But I’m sure I would love it.

Back when I could expect a room full of grandkids on short notice a large box of Hungry Jack was always on the shelf. They all loved it.

I’m trying to imagine what a mix of half potato and half butter would look and feel and taste like. I’m not a huge fan of mashed potatoes. I might like that more. But… How much is it like eating straight-up butter?

It’s mysterious to me. My family never put butter, milk, or cheese in mashed potatoes. There would be butter on the table.

It would be like a potato smoothie

Why is it grandkids love those Hungry Jack taters?

Or why are people gaga over KFC taters?

My mashed potatoes are a little different each time. Sometimes there’s a rutabaga in there, often some cream cheese, sometimes sautéed onions, usually a bit of milk and butter.

My BiL used to make his “mashed medley.” Potatos, carrots, and turnips. Really tasty.

Oh, and lots of butter.

Yeah, mixed root veg mash is wonderful. We add parsnips when they’re in season and you can get huge girthy ones. Celeriac is another option.

Smashed turnips are very nice with roast pork.

(I will add carrot next time, I’m curious as to the color they’ll turn out to be as much as the sweet carrot taste)

Y’know, I think I got it wrong, and it was parsnips, not turnips, but yeah I love root vegetables cooked in almost any style. Interestingly, I really dislike banana and acorn squash.

I loved it too, after discovering it around the age of 14. I still remember the recipe for gulyás, though I think it was more Austrian than Hungarian.

I also liked the risqué jokes he told at the start of each show. My favorite was the one about why you tie the umbilical cord of a baby in a knot after he’s born.

After I moved to Toronto, I was pleased to learn that the series was taped here.

When she was on her last legs, I made nutritious meals for my late havanese that were way better than any commercial dog food. I started by making thick beef stock using bones I got from an Asian supermarket. To get the gel and the marrow really running, I baked the bones for a couple of hours at 500 F and then boiled them for a few hours more in the same pot. When I finally took them out, every last nutrient had been transferred to the broth.

I should try this sometime. I bought some parsnips a few years ago because I’d never had any and decided to give them a try. I was astounded at how sweet they were. Really unexpected.

How did you prepare them? I love them in stews, in pot roasts or alongside a regular roast, and roasted on their own on a sheet pan (after cutting into halves or quarters the long way as per carrots). If I had an air fryer, I’d try that, too.