Really Funny Women?

Aside from the female comics who rank high on the unfunny poll and the few that made it to the funny poll, aren’t there some decent female comics we could vote on for who’s funniest?

YouTube clips to support your opinion(s) would be nice, but let’s just see if we can’t name some funny ladies.

I have been known to laugh at:

Maria Bamford
Ellen DeGeneres
Kathy Griffin
Sarah Silverman
Wanda Sykes

Kathleen Madigan
Paula Poundstone
Elayne Boosler
Aisha Tyler
Natasha Leggero

to name 10 off the top of my head.

Discussion?

You haven’t met Dawn French or Jennifer Saunders yet, have you? :slight_smile:

As a matter of fact, no. I did check a couple of YouTube clips of them but didn’t spend a lot of time on their interviews.

Have something of theirs that’s a good example of their humor?

Where’s Tina Fey?

Andrea Martin.

I used to love Paula Poundstone’s stand-up. Haven’t heard it in ages. I like Sarah Silverman a lot. The only comedian I’ve paid to see was Janeane Garofolo.

I hate Wanda Sykes. I think Cosby’s dis of her at the BET awards (or whatever it was) was fantastic.

Joe

People will have you believe that Absolutely Fabulous is funny. They would be wrong. A fucking train wreck of suck, IMO.

Joe

wheresgeorge04: I felt the same way about AbFab at first. But I came to appreciate the train wreck for its outrageous humor.

Rita Rudner. “I had to stop dancing because I pulled a groin muscle. It wasn’t mine.”

Judy Tenuta. “Worship me, pigs!” “I was invited to join a sorority but I turned it down because I already had a personality.”

Kathleen Madigan is pretty good.
Early in her career she seemed to be imitating the style of Anthony Clark, but thankfully she gave that up.

I love Rita Rudner. I’ll watch her skits and laugh at every joke.

Shes one of those comics that is all about the delivery. Reading that line i heard it in my brain in her voice and it was funny, otherwise it wouldn’t have been.

Dawn French can be hysterical. Rudner rocks as well. Sykes sux. Pam Stone cracks me up.

Me too. Same goes for Elayne(?) Boosler.

Laura Kightlinger

her best stuff does not appear to be on youtube … how to answer the door when the pizza delivery man comes, showing up at your high school reunions and pretending to be disabled … she has a nasty, wicked sense of humor, or once did. Her more current stuff seems watered down a bit.

Excellent! One of my favorites. She and Anthony Jeselnik have similar approaches and I love their style.

By the way, Paula is usually one of the panelists on NPR’s “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me” quiz show, and is usually VERY funny.

I bet you already knew that, but just in case.

Here’s the list after Post #16, assuming I didn’t overlook anybody.

Maria Bamford
Elayne Boosler
Ellen DeGeneres
Tina Fey
Dawn French

Janeane Garofolo
Kathy Griffin
Laura Kightlinger
Natasha Leggero
Kathleen Madigan

Andrea Martin
Paula Poundstone
Rita Rudner
Jennifer Saunders
Sarah Silverman

Pam Stone
Wanda Sykes
Judy Tenuta
Aisha Tyler

Let’s see if we can get 30 before polling the board. Eleven to go.

Margaret Cho is funny sometimes.
ETA: This goes back a few years, but didn’t Carol Burnett do standup?

Cheri Oteri on SNL was amazing. Her ‘Brooklyn Rita’ kills me! My all time fav was her Collette Reardon. “It’s a good time to be medicated!” “Apparently peach schnapps doesn’t mix well with my darvon drip!”

Jane Curtin is also one of my favorites. Her Dr. Mary Albright with John Lithgow’s Dick the High Commander has me just about wetting myself.

I can’t vouch for Carol’s standup career, but the “funny women” notion allows her on the list anyway. Not many funnier, as I see it. Her show was comedy gold.

To show I have a sense of fairness, I will include Ms. Cho in spite of a strong distaste for her “comedy.” There are many who dislike my favorites, too. Such is life in the big city.