Recidivism after major weight loss

Can anybody point me toward statistics or studies regarding recidivism in weight loss? Specifically I’m looking for a comparison of numbers between the diet, diet and exercise, and bariatric surgery patients.

I’d really like to see some studies that go 10 or 20 years from the initial loss.

I’m considering bariatric surgery, and would like to see what the likelihood of success is 20 years from now.

I’ve tried searching online, but really need some help in narrowing the field. There appears to be a whole lot of conflicting data, and a lot of it is too anecdotal to take seriously.

Did you try any Google searches?

Everything you could ever want to know (and then some) about treatments for obesity.

The file is large (854K), and I haven’t read most of the document. Still, I think you’ll find some useful info starting on page 74 of the Acrobat document (page 42 of the text), as well as in the summary at the beginning and the tables throughout.

This is as good as it gets regarding evidence for weight loss treatments (i.e. prepared by disinterested experts sponsored by the NIH). I’ll think you may be disappointed about the lack of truly long term data. Nevertheless, there is a fair bit of info on mid term success (and failure).

Thanks for the pdf, this is useful stuff. If nothing else, it has cured my insomnia for the evening. :slight_smile:

I did try the google thing, but didn’t come up with much of use. I think it’s mostly because I don’t know enough about the subject yet to know the right words to search for.

In magazines every once in a while I’ve seen things that refer to anywhere from a 95-99% failure rate over time with weight loss, and the failure rate gets higher with greater amounts lost. Scary stuff.

They don’t seem to want to admit that in the pdf though - they buried this statement on page 119:

“A major limitation of nonsurgical approaches is the failure to maintain reduced body weight in many individuals.”

No kidding.