Recipes that are older than you'd think

A lot of the trendier-than-thou slow foodists like to engage in one-upsmanship games. So finding recipes that would seem modern but are actually traditional is subverting that in a way. Thereby getting one up on those folks, of course. :stuck_out_tongue:
I actually have nothing against the Slow Food movement; I think it’s a great idea overall. But the people who try to turn things like that into some sort of competition get on my nerves.

Quoth aruvqan:

(This was after stew, but so is everything. When the first man first clambered from the slime and made his first home on land, what he had for supper that first night was stew.)

Thanks for enlightening me as to the slow food movement. I’d never heard of it.

Baked Beans?

Most Americans think of the brown sugar, mollases, and pork model, but would it shock you to know that Cacao Beans and Coffee Beans are baked beans?

You imbibe baked beans at Starbucks. All cultures make a melange of beans- fresh or dried, sweet or savory, whole or processed, cooked or uncooked.

FABACIAE VIRIDES ET BAIANAE (Green and Baian Beans)

(Apic. 5, 6, 1)

Ingredients:

500g soybeans with pod, or green beans
50ml *Liquamen, or 1/2 tsp salt with 50ml wine
1-2 tblsp oil
1 tblsp minced coriander leaves (or 1/2 tblsp ground coriander seed)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 minced branch of leek

Instructions:

Cook beans with *Liquamen, oil, leek and spices. Serve.

• Worchestershire Sauce or Nước chấm are the best modern substitutes, unless you make your own.