Recommend a new Chromebook

I have an Acer CB Plus 714 Flip and the latest update threw it into a boot loop. Apparently, Google has been bricking these models for about a month. I’m trying various things to recover it, but assuming that doesn’t work, I’m in the market for a new cheapish laptop.

I could get a cheapish PC, but those tend to be terrible – the hardware is underpowered for the operating system. I could get that new cheap Mac (my wife has it and it’s actually fantastic), but I have to be able to use two external monitors with my laptop, and that cheap Mac can’t do that. So, I think a Chromebook is still the way to go.

So, my only requirement is really to be reliable and to be able to use two external monitors. This Acer has been anything but reliable. Nice to have: touch screen. I think all new Chromebooks can run linux (Crostini?), but just in case, that’s also a requirement.

What’s a reasonable price? Maybe $600 or less?

So, any recommendations?

Acer is an ultra-budget brand that I’d avoid if you care about support or reliability. Chromebook “Plus” designates the more premium models within a brand’s lineup, subject to some Google requirements, but (as you saw) in and of itself it doesn’t guarantee anything.

Lenovo and Samsung both have some of their own. These are the ones the AI investigated to support 2+ monitors (links go to cites):

Of those, I toyed around with the Samsung in a store and it felt really nice. That’s probably the one I’d get for myself, as a person.


You might want to consider the newer Googlebooks too, which are just about to launch in the next week or so: https://googlebook.google/

They’re basically like Chromebooks, but:

  • At least some of them (like the HP Googlebook 14) support 2+ monitors, and probably most of them will (once their full specs are released, we’ll know for sure)
  • They have faster processors and more premium builds
  • They natively run a modified version of Android rebuilt for the laptop, so apps should run faster and more accurately. But, like a Chromebook, you still don’t have the bloat of Windows.
  • They can still run Linux
  • They are more expensive ($899 and up)

If you’re still considering Macs too, you can also look at refurbished/previous-generation Macbooks Air instead of the cheapest Neo. They are more expensive than Chromebooks, but more capable and much more premium (build, screen, sound, keyboard, trackpad, hardware, memory, storage, CPU, all of it). You just need one of the recent-ish Apple Silicon models:

  • M1 - M2 only support one external monitor
  • M3 supports 2 external with the laptop’s own screen closed
  • M4+ supports 2 external even with the laptop’s own screen open

The used ones are about:

  • M5 Air (current gen): ~$1000+
  • M4 Air: ~$800+
  • M3 Air: ~$700+ (only if you’re fine running two monitors with the laptop closed)

Some of them can run Asahi Linux, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

That Lenovo with the big discount looks like a winner. I’ll check it out and probably put an order in later today.

I need two monitors plus the laptop screen (I play music with friends and I show the chords and lyrics on two monitors, plus I need to be able to look at and scroll them).

Don’t get the Acer Chromebook Plus 514! It was good for a month but now, over a year after I bought it, it’s slow as molasses, in spite of attempted fixes from computer pros.

I have a far lesser Lenovo (Intel core i3) and it runs fine with 2 monitors and the laptop screen itself, for what that is worth. I did have to get an extension for the second HDMI port (USB-C multi-adapter), but those are relatively cheap.

Yeah, I have two HDMI to USB C connectors (with other connectors on the HDMI side) in case the laptop has no HDMI outs.

I ordered that Lenovo, but that chip is pretty underpowered. The Acer I have has an Ultra 5 and it’s fine, but not especially zippy. The Core 3 N355 seems to be much slower.

I think I’ll cancel the order or return it if it’s too late and spend up a little more to get something quicker.

The Googlebooks with the Snapdragon Elite chip should be powerful and battery friendly?

I went from hand me down Microsoft junk to my first Chromebook which was an HP. $200, then onto a Samsung then currently an Asus…all the cheapest models.
Great product, even with the 5 year update limit…will not likely buy anything else. Its always seemed the price is just function of the onboard memory, is this true or false?
I don’t need memory storage, I just need simplicity and reliability. Used the various ports for awhile, but the Bluetooth seems to work just fine for monitors and TV’s and headsets. (I feel like a salesman sometimes at Best Buy, when Im browsing the new models and other people are there…yeah Im that guy)
ps thanks for that update on new Googlebooks, I did not know that

Re: Chromebooks, yeah, it’s nice to have a simple OS for simple computing. Too bad the underlying hardware is often so bad.

Re: The pricing: Memory and storage are large parts of the pricing now, yes, because of the AIpocalypse. It wasn’t always that way… just a few years ago, both were cheap and it was things like display quality and CPU/GPU that dominated the price more. So the pricing is more a function of the overall PC hardware marketplace supply and demand, with a bit of markup on top of it. That market was stagnant for a long time, with steady improvements and steady price decreases, until crypto and then AI drove up the costs of certain components like GPU and memory.

<side rant>
A particular issue with Chromebooks and Windows notebooks is that it’s kinda a three-way or four-way marketplace. Google and Microsoft are not primarily in the business of selling hardware directly to the end-user. While there were a few first-party attempts like the Pixelbook or Microsoft Surface, those are more like niche experimental reference designs than mass-market successes. By and large, their main customers are OEMs like Asus, Acer, Lenovo, and Samsung, along with ad and services partners (including those companies’ own internal partner-competitors, like their Gemini and Copilot departments that keep trying to squeeze AI into everything else). So you end up with a bunch of compromise machines that try to balance all these parties’ interests.

It’s a double-edged sword. You get healthy competition in the Chromebook marketplace with a lot of variants. But you also get a race to the bottom with the Asian OEMs all trying to reach a price floor, and cutting corners in hardware components when they cannot lower the price any further. So the market is mostly full of crap hardware that powers an otherwise nice OS, with a few premium exceptions.

That’s why the Apple stuff can feel a lot nicer. There, they’re primarily trying to optimize the machines for direct end-user satisfaction, both in the hopes that you’ll pay a premium for the hardware itself and that you’ll want to stick around in the Apple ecosystem overall and pay for their first-party services. But that vertical integration (and lack of third-party OEMs) means it’s a lot more straightforward for them to actually design and sell good computer systems as a holistic package that they control top-to-bottom. It tends to result in much higher quality hardware than Microsoft and Google’s fragmented approach where they stick their software on top of whatever commodity hardware the marketplace can supply them at the lowest prices.
</rant>

Yeah, if you do everything in the cloud anyway, you don’t really need much local memory or storage. You’d still benefit from a faster CPU, because, well, web apps are still apps, and they still use your computer. They run slower on slower computers.

As for ports, you’re probably not using Bluetooth for monitors (it doesn’t have enough bandwidth). Wireless displays do exist, but typically over wi-fi or some proprietary protocol, not Bluetooth, and even then the experience still sucks a lot compared to a hardwired cable.

Chromebooks are basically “dumb terminals” in a sense, but unlike the old mainframe days, today’s web apps actually do mostly run on the local machine, not the remote server, so your hardware still matters. Google never really makes that clear and it might not matter for the typical student or office drone who only ever has a Google Doc or two open. But in big spreadsheets or lots of tabs, or if you ever want to run other Android or Linux apps on it, hardware will still make a noticeable difference, like the OP noticed.

I know you’re all on tenterhooks wondering how this will turn out. I’ve decided to return the cheap Lenovo when it shows up and I bought the one that’s on sale for $749. It seems to be everyone’s favorite right now.

So, I got the Lenovo with the Mediatek Kompanio. The Linux environment is badly compromised compared to the Acer that had a Core Ultra 5 chip. According to Gemini, the layer between Chromeos and Linux on ARM processors is just not that efficient.

The result is jittery video, since the processor has to do all the rendering without the help of a GPU. I think I have to return it – using Chrome with uBlock Origin Lite is really not as good as using Brave or Firefox with real adblocking.

This is been so frustrating.

Sorry, too late to edit. So, what should I do?

  1. Keep the new Chromebook and deal with the crappy video performance?
  2. Return it and keep the lesser Lenovo that I also ordered that uses Core 3 N355, which is slower than my current bricked Chromebook with a Core 5?
  3. Return both, use my old Chromebook with a Core i3 processor for now, with the hope that the next version of ChromeOS fixes whatever bricked my newer Core 5 one?
  4. Return both and find a new one that’s not too expensive, that doesn’t use an ARM processor, that’s at least as fast as my Core 5?

1 seems silly to me – the video performance is worse than on my old non-bricked one. I’m not sure 4 is even possible. I could really use some help and advice here.

Am I understanding that it’s only video playback in Firefox that is the issue? Everything else works fine? And you’re running Firefox via Crostini?

Does Firefox for Android (from the Play store) work any better? It still supports uBlock Origin full, but its UI might be a little different than the Linux desktop version.

This also might not affect ALL ARM Chromebooks the same way. It’s a chip-by-chip thing, I think, depending on how a particular hardware stack (and the manufacturer) bothered to forward the GPU through the Linux layer. Hard to say without testing a specific model (in the store, before you buy, I mean).

What is your top budget? And what is your actual underlying need for a computer like this, like do you care about ChromeOS specifically, or just want a simple browser that you don’t have to fiddle with? Cuz an iPad or Android tablet could do many of the same things without the Crostini headaches. Or maybe the new Googlebooks.

ChromeOS under the “happy path” (Chrome only) is the supported, tested use case. Once you start adding other Linux apps to it, all bets are off :frowning: That’s not the case with the Android world (where other apps are still first-class citizens).

You could also consider going the other way completely… just wipe your current Chromebook and put a real Linux on it, so that ARM apps can run natively there without going through a VM layer like on the Chromebooks.


If I were you, I’d probably do this:

  • Try Firefox on Android on the current computer
  • Wait for the other laptop to arrive and try the same thing on it (Firefox for Linux and for Android) to see if it’s any better
  • If not, go to the store in person and play with several Chromebooks (if they let you add Firefox to it) and Android tablets there to see any of them will do what you want.
  • Maybe consider some of the Googlebooks instead, which can have newer processors and have a different OS

I think at the end of the day, you are going down an unsupported path which no Chromebook vendor is going to care about (because they’re budget machines to begin with, and hardware-accelerated Linux isn’t one of their selling points).

Good luck :frowning: Sorry for the hassle…

A couple more things you can try on the current machine:

Brave and Firefox in Linux both have low frame rates.

None of the Android browsers really have the right interface - I tried Chrome, Firefox, and Vivaldi - keyboard shortcuts don’t really work, full screen is weird. Vivaldi was closest, but was still pretty glitchy.

One of my main use cases is mirroring my screen on two external monitors, so a cheap Mac or iPad won’t work.

I’ll try the x.264 thing, but I’m skeptical.

Maybe try the GPU acceleration flag (and render group, if needed) first.

But yeah, you may be in rough waters here… it’s just not a pathway that they tend to test (and I don’t think reviewers do either). Might take a lot of buys + returns/exchanges until you find one model that does the trick.

If your budget allows one of the nicer Macbook Airs (M4+), those are totally integrated and dramatically more powerful. But they’re like $900-$1200 ish, so quite a bit more expensive. Darn. (I’m not sure if any of the tablets support more than one external screen).

I think any Intel chip will work fine, it’s just the interface from the ARM chips that’s a problem.

OK, just to put a period at the end of this obscure tale, I returned both Lenovos. While I was at Best Buy, I saw they had an open-box ASUS CX-34 with the Core i5 processor, so I picked that up for less than $500. I cleaned the screen, and it otherwise looked flawless. The diagnostics said that the battery only had one charge cycle, so I think whoever bought it either didn’t like Chromebooks or were disappointed in the speakers or something like that.

Anyway, it’s quite zippy – the browser benchmark puts it at twice as fast as my Acer 714.

So, the Acer is going to my daughter’s boyfriend who will turn it into a regular Linux box. I’ve done that in the past with Chromebooks, but I just don’t have the energy right now.

I have two weeks to beat up the ASUS and make sure it’s all good.

Nice! Glad you found a better fit.

The Best Buy open box stuff truly are a treasure trove.