Recommend an open-world adventure sort of game

Lego City Undercover

As silly as it sounds, it’s a solid game with a fun little plot and the ability to wander streets and just smash Lego bricks is so damn relaxing. I played with my son and I’m debating playing a new campaign on my own.

I love the Spider-Man and Miles Morales games on PlayStation and I’m a big fan of Horizon (I’m replaying Forbidden West now).

I intensely disliked the Arkham games due to combination of controller/game play and as awesome as the Batman art is, I find all stories really, really stupid. I just can’t get into them.

I haven’t played many games overall though, and I play everything on Easy and still find them hard.

But seriously, the Lego games as a whole are really good.

I never really got into them, but you might like the Witcher games.

I own all three but I admit I’ve actually only played the first one, and I hated the combat system so much I never even installed the other two. I’ve heard you can just start with Witcher 3, which is the consensus best one, with totally different combat, and not really be missing all that much.

There’s the Just Cause games where you run around just causing chaos on a huge island.

Let’s see, scrolling through my Steam games library…

Have you played any Fallout games?

Mass Effect? Familiar? Played? How do you feel about that sort of game?

Holy crap, is this out for PC yet? I’ve been checking back every few months for years now.

Well I have good news and bad news.

The bad news is that no, it isn’t. I just thought it was.

The good news is that it’s actually only a couple months off.

The fact that they’ve stopped being coy and actually announced it is already great!

It’s a real treat of a game! The only open-world game I’ve ever played where I often chose not to fast travel because it’s just so damned pretty.

And I’m pretty sure I played it on PS4, so I bet it looks even better now.

If you liked the Arkham games, I would recommend Shadows of Mordor/Shadows of War. The gameplay will seem very familiar.

I tried the first Mass Effect and just didn’t like it for some reason. Still not sure why. I have one of the Fallouts in my Steam library someplace and I think I liked it.

Yeah, I’ll second the Red Dead Redemption games. I’m currently in my 3rd playthrough of part 2 right now.

I know so many people that love Red Dead Redemption. I played the first hour of the second one and went to read some reviews. My takeaway: the game remains cutscene-heavy throughout, and there’s no real moral choices, as the story directs you to make certain key decisions. As beautiful as it is, and as excellent as the story is purported to be, I got a refund. It just didn’t work for me at all.

Definitely. You can be a good guy or a right bastard in side content but the game is ultimately telling the story it wants to tell (and it’s a prequel, so it’s constrained by that in a lot of ways)

FWIW I never actually finished it. It’s a long game. But I enjoyed it and don’t remember the cutscenes being too onerous after the first big push. Definitely not at Metal Gear Solid levels of nonsense.

Metal Gear?! (Exclamation mark pops up over my head)

Hah! Yeah, I think that one burned me, and when I got through the first hour of RDR2 with all the cutscenes (and slogging through blizzards at a snail’s pace), I noped out of it. Antihero stories just don’t hold much appeal to me, especially not when I’m “driving” the antihero and don’t have a choice to not be one. Even though it sounds like RDR2 allows some level of decency, the fundamental story wasn’t gonna be my jam–which obviously doesn’t mean it’s nobody’s jam.

Glad for folks that liked it, just wasn’t for me.

I have the original but haven’t really got into it, too spoiled by the grappling hook in the sequels. JC2 is a solid game with a huge map and the opposing corrupt mooks continually repopulate so it’s still playable even after completion.

The map in JC3 seems a bit smaller and mooks don’t really repopulate unless requested for specific areas so not as fun after completion. However, for some reason, there is an adult-sized soap box derby car at the top of a hill…

I have JC4 but lost interest in it. Got put off by this over-the-top DLC – it introduces a great weapon but those demons are just too much and some are nigh unstoppable.

Yep, way too many amazing games out there to spend a hundred hours on one just because other people think it’s great.

Definitely.

I played JC2 to completion. JC3 was my favorite, except I don’t think I ever finished it. The story was pretty boring (and TBH I don’t especially fantasize about being an American who goes to third world countries and blows shit up and gets called a hero; I had to actively ignore a lot of the game’s premise). But flying around in a squirrel-suit was the most satisfying flight mechanic in any game I’ve ever played, and nobody blows shit up as good as the Just Cause franchise. For months afterward I’d see a water tower or billboard and think about how I could attach a grappling hook to it…

JC4? I played about halfway through, but the gameplay wasn’t as fun as JC3, and the story was just dumb as hell.

I didn’t even know there was a 4! (then again, I also forgot I owned JC3)

The only Just Cause I played was Just Cause: Primal. That was a pretty fun game.

Eta: never mind, that was Far Cry: Primal.

What’s the difference between the Just Cause and Far Cry series? My roommate in college had a game with a flight suit, grappling hook, and rocket launcher - was that Just Cause? I think I’ve had them mixed up in my head.

Your roommate had a Just Cause game. It’s a 3rd-person action game.

Far Cry games are first-person shooters, with some RPG elements.

TBF, the hero character is from a third world country – which he is called upon to liberate from the hands of a dictator in 3.