Recommend me a depressing movie.

So tomorrow me and a couple of friends are sitting down to watch a few movies that make us cry and cry, namely Dancer in the Dark and Requiem for a Dream. Why? Honestly, I’m not sure. But I think we need a third movie to round it out, and I can’t think of anything that has made me feel as bad as those did.

Any suggestions? It has to be something reasonably common, as our video store options are probably limited to Blockbuster, and I’m looking for something depressing.

I’ve heard that House of Sand and Fog is depressing, but haven’t seen it. I don’t know how common it is, but Grave of the Fireflies (hotaru no haka) is certainly depressing.

I think I’ve heard of Grave of the Fireflies - it’s animated, set in Japan after WW2 or something?

House of Sand and Fog and Grave of the Fireflies were the exact two movies I came to this thread to suggest. Odd, isn’t it?

How’s about Grave of the Fireflies? Sure, it’s animated, but it’s still a heart wrencher.

On preview, it’s actually set in the last couple of months of WWII, from the point of view of two Japanese children.

Yep, late WW2, actually. It’s not one of Miyazaki Hayao’s (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away) films, but it’s by his production group, Studio Ghibili.

Damn, damn depressing film.

Try 37°2 le matin (aka Betty Blue).

Béatrice Dalle as a beautiful loony.

Chinatown – It’s not much of a bawler, but it leaves me numb every time.

Todd Solondz’s Happiness is a black comedy but is thoroughly depressing.

I should warn you that the subject matter is not to everyone’s taste; for example, one of the main characters is a paedophile.

Angus!

It’s basically a comedy (you’ll need that after Requiem) but it’s got it’s killer moments.

As they say over at IMDB:
“Angus” is a great film. It is the exact opposite of the Clue less, teenage film reign and I love it. It looks at the life of a freshman teen who is un-popular, over weight, and un-apreciated. Just like most of the REAL teens in High School today. Chris Crutcher (who wrote the short story this film is based on) knows exactly how a real teenagers life works who is not popular. This is terrific.

Not “warm and fuzzy” depressing, but “grim and ugly” depressing: Leaving Las Vegas. It won’t make you cry, it will just make you want to shoot yourself.

Gummo will have you trying to drown yourself in a bucket of water.

And a second nomination for Grave of the fireflies.

Ordinary People.

The only thing more depressing than the movie itself is the fact that it won a best picture Oscar.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll definitly pick up Grave of the Fireflies (or try to) and maybe Happiness as well - I remember my friend studying it for Film and thinking it looking interesting.

It’s also based on an autobiographical novel by Nosaka Akiyuki. As a further aside, I just learned that hotaru is written ‰Î‚‚é instead of Œu in it’s title. Interesting.

Boys Don’t Cry was pretty depressing.

25th Hour
Monster
Wonderland
Dead Man Walking
Last Light
They Shoot Horses Don’t They
Requiem for a Dream
The Basketball Diaries
Auto Focus
Affliction
Angel Baby

Well, I’ve heard Battlefield Earth is pretty depressing, but perhaps not quite in the way you mean…

I think you mean depressing in the sense of sad. If you mean depressing in the sense of “life is shit”, try WOMAN IN THE WINDOW, with Edward G Robinson. It’s got a Hollywood-artificial-happy-ending tacked on, but it’s clear where the movie really ends, and it’s depressing as hell. Actually, most movies by Fritz Lang are pretty depressing that way.

Happiness is actually a pretty hilarious movie; don’t expect it to be that much of a downer. It’s a very dark comedy, but it is a comedy.