Recommend me a healthy breakfast that will fill me up until noon

Have you ever tried wheat germ? It’s very tasty–nutty, buttery, versatile. I put it on yogurt; sometimes eat it right out of the bag. Has healthy, high-quality protein and fat.

[Do not confuse with brewer’s yeast!]

Be sure to buy packaged, not bulk, which goes rancid quickly.

Bob’s Red Mill is excellent; retails for about $2.50/1-lb bag.

Nutritional info:

[I’ve no association w/this company; merely a satisfied customer]

I’m especially partial to Greek yogurt, because it’s not fruit-flavored pudding. There some substance to it, and if you mix in about 15 g or half a serving of bran buds, it will definitely fill you up for most of the morning. I also like to throw in a piece of fresh fruit like an apple or an orange to go with that, which also helps keep me going until lunch. This also makes an acceptable lunch.

Egg substitutes are another thing I sometimes like for breakfast. They don’t taste any different from whole eggs, and you can do anything with them that you would normally use scrambled eggs for. I’ll sometimes throw in some left over vegetables, a little bit of low-fat cheese, and serve it on a sandwich thin or on a slice of high-fiber toast. Again, this takes very little effort. One-quarter cup of liquid is equal to one whole egg.

Finally, I also enjoy a bowl of cereal with a cup of fat free milk and a banana. I know you said you don’t like fat free milk, but there is a brand called Over the Moon, that tastes exactly like regular milk. This is what I use it home. This way, I get the benefits of dairy without the fat and calories of 2% or whole milk. Just make sure you mind your portions, because what most people consider an acceptable serving size is usually too much. It helps if you weigh your cereal (or any food) on a scale until you get used to what a correct serving size should look like.

Good luck!

I was also going to suggest oatmeal, but I don’t recommend anything other than steel-cut oats (aka Scottish oats). I make mine with 1% milk. You could toast the steel-cut oats (they get this nutty flavor, a lot like Grape Nuts), and then toss them into some yogurt with some crunched up pecans or walnuts or almonds or some other nut of your choice. Add in bits of fruit or blueberries… pretty filling, lots of fiber and vitamins.

I like the hard-boiled egg idea. I might alternate between the two – I get the idea that some eggs are okay, but too many eggs (meaning, eating eggs every single day) is not good for my cholesterol. You may not have that problem, and if not, then you can probably enjoy eggs all the time.

You’re Indian in heritage, right? So does it have to be traditional American type breakfast food? My cousin married a lovely Chinese woman and the worst his parents can say about her is the foods she serves as traditional Chinese breakfast are not what they consider to be breakfast food. I would imagine there’s a lot of rice involved. I was thinking of the Japanese style, cracked raw egg over rice. Now that thought makes my stomach churn, but you may have a completely different palate, what with being raised on all that delicious Indian food. So how 'bout whole wheat pita + hummus? What’s a traditional Indian breakfast?

Also, is your primary concern convenience? Need something to eat in the car on the way to work, or something that you can eat at your desk? Trying to avoid cooking in the morning, you just want something quick? Pop a pita or english muffin in the toaster and slice your hard boiled egg into it, maybe with a bit of cheese.

The breakfast I eat now fills me up. I’d like to make it a little healthier and lighter now, though.

I’m as American as they come. :slight_smile: I like Indian food, but you know, it’s not actually my favorite! A traditional Indian breakfast - no idea, but what I used to have is fresh hot prontis - flatbread, with stuff in, like flavoured potatoes or daikkon - with spicy pickled mango (achaar) and yogurt to cool the palate. Yum yum but not exactly healthy, plus someone else has to make it.

Hmm. I wonder if I have any achaar in the house. *wanders off *