Recommend me a Mac game, willya?

It was a while ago (a year, maybe more?) So I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the complete version - I don’t remember what version it was.

I did submit some sort of report, but I don’t recall getting a response from VP.

I would start a game, and about 40 years in, the map would turn into a display of the flags and coats of arms in the game, and everything would slow down immensely. Have you ever heard of such a problem?

No, not in the PC version. But if I did I’d recommend an uninstall, delete game directories, and reinstall outside the system directory path. And an update of video drivers. I realise not much of that applies to a Mac though.

So in your shoes, if you’d really like to get into it again, I’d buy either the Complete version, or just the two expansions (Napoleon’s Ambition and In Nomine), apply 3.1, and give it a go. From all accounts by Paradox customers the game with IN installed is far superior as a game, and indeed they say is up with the best strategy games every made.

I just want to thank Askance - I installed Napoleon’s Ambition along with the newest version of EUIII and it seems to work great so far (fingers crossed.) :slight_smile: I’m impressed so far - getting about 50 years into a game and it hasn’t shown the problems I had last time I tried.

Well, I’m not a big RPG player myself, but I’ve heard the “Fallout” games are highly recommended, and Fallout 1 and 2 have been ported to the Mac. (Fallout 3 isn’t, yet, but as others said, in a desperate bind, you could always try to getting running under Windows)

Heck, Apple’s got a good list of titles, and Macgamefiles has a number of demos, and a lotta shareware.

There are a few good Mac abandonware sites, but since you’ve got a new Macbook, IIRC, you’d need to get an emulator to run an OS 9 (or earlier) system for them. Which is doable—I’ve used one called Basilisk II, on occasion, with good results—but you’d probably need a ROM image and a copy of the old operating system to do it. Depending on your computer savvy, what kind of Mac hardware/software you have lying around already, and what you can scrounge up online, this might not be a problem, or it may make it more trouble than it’s worth.

Anyway, back to the subject—Spaceward Ho! is an old favorite, and still available in a modern version, though it’s a tad pricey (relatively speaking, anyway). DEFCON is another fond time vampire, though it might not be your cup of tea.

The Civilization games—it’s up to Civ IV now—are available for the Mac, with several expansion packs, and a great deal of “mod” potential, as I understand. Be warned, however, that they’re known to be incredibly addictive…I remember reading about talk show episodes almost 20 years ago featuring people who’d gotten addicted to Civilization 1.

ASMT checking in. There’s depth, but not breadth. Neverwinter Nights got ported successfully, IIRC, as well as Braid, recently.

However, the comment my certifier told me about gaming on macs after my graduation sticks with me. “How big is Mac gaming? Well, it doesn’t even merit it’s own category over at Gamespot.com. Congratulations, your platform of choice is outdone by the gamecube.”

ETA: Oh, yeah - Call of Duty 4, EVE Online, FlatOut 2 and Guitar Hero 3 all got ported in 2008. Great games, all!

(Though it does still amuse me that macworld.com’s 2008 Game Hall of Fame is dominated by the iPhone.)

As did City of Heroes/Villains.

I have several games on my Mac, but the only one I play these days is Dwarf Fortress. It’s not too pretty with default ASCII-style graphics, but if that bothers you there are custom tilesets out there(I’ve been playing with a tileset for ages).

Very few newer games make it to Mac without at least a year wait. If you don’t mind older games, then I’ll echo WoW, Spore, Fallout 1/2, Baldur’s Gate II, etc. There are even a few more obscure ones out there for Mac, like Majesty. Getting anything really old might have problems on OS X though.

Crystal Crazy, my favorite Mac game. Sadly, I don’t think it works on newer Macs though.