Any good games to play on a Mac?

So I’ve seen ads for City of Heroes in comics and have seen the threads about it here on the boards. I would love to play this, but it looks like it’s not compatible with Mac OSX. I had an XP PC, but slacker uh, liberated it from me after my school gave me my Mac laptop on the grounds that I wouldn’t need two computers.

In stores, all the games I see are for Windows computers, and I don’t want to go out of my way to an Apple store to see what they have only to not be interested in any of the games – or even worse, buy one only to take it home and find that it sucks ass.

So are there any Mac users out there who can recommend a good game for me? After all, I’m spending way too much time in class working on class stuff and I need something to slack off with. :slight_smile:

Well, that depends on what you’re looking for.

Let’s see:

For classic, tile-layout RPGs, try SpiderWeb Software. Their Avernum and Geneforge series are great and inexpensive.

For classic Elite-type space games, try Ambrosia Software’s Escape Velocity Nova.

For more computer RPGs, Baldur’s Gate and BG II, Fallout and Fallout 2, Diablo II, and Neverwinter Nights are all available.

For MMORPGs, there’s Shadowbane and Everquest, plus maybe others. I’m not much of a MMORPG fan, so I don’t know more than that.

For strategy games, there’s Civ 3, Age of Empires 2, Majesty, Starcraft, Hearts of Iron, Age of Mythology, and Rise of Nations is coming soon.

For FPS games, Unreal Tournament 2004, Halo, the various Tom Clancy games, and Tron 2.0 are all available.

That’s what I can think of and find in a brief search. Can you tell I own a Mac? :slight_smile: For general information, check out MacGamer, InsideMac Games, MacSoft, and MacPlay.

I’m a trivia freak, so I enjoy “You Don’t Know Jack.”

3 in Three, one of the best puzzle games ever programmed.

Glider Pro. One of the best games ever, especially if you liek making your own levels.

I think it is abandonware now.

SimCity 4 has a pretty good OS X port. The Sims and most of the expansion packs have been ported as well, but I can’t get them to work on my Powerbook.

Blizzard is by far the best major publisher for Mac support. Diablo II, Warcraft III, and Starcraft all have Mac ports, usually provided on the same disc as the Windows version. Diablo II is still a hell of a lot of fun.

I was really impressed that Blizzard released a patch to update Diablo II to be OS X native, years after the game was released, and after an OS 9 version was already available. That’s customer support, right there.

Forgive me, but I must post this. :slight_smile: