Recommend me some Spanish-language music!

I heard “Lamento Boliviano”(en vivo) by Los Enanitos Verdes on Pandora today. I really liked it.

I have Cafe Tacuba as one of about a million seeds on my kitchen sink station, but Pandora has played “Eres” twice recently, once today, once yesterday. I do like the song, but I already have it on mp3.

Definitely not punk, I like Diego Torres a lot and I think he should be understandable. Chenoa and Vega (I like her “mejor mañana” a lot) are poppy but, again, I think easily understandable.

A group that’s considered the punk reference in Spain but which I’ve seen tagged as ska in foreign sites: Siniestro Total. They used to be called “Mari Cruz Soriano y los que tocan el piano” (“MCS and those who play piano”, where MCS was a TV presenter who happened to play piano) but got into an accident and totaled the van: the expression for “total wreck” is “siniestro total”, which they liked for the double meaning (“totally sinister”) and chose as their new name.

I tend to pick my Spanish-language “likes” more based on lyrics than music, so whatever I recomend can be all over the map. Rosendo Mercado, which I mentioned before, is considered the best electric guitar player in Spain (but even his fans are quick to say that Paco de Lucía is the best guitar player period) and I like his lyrics, very quirky.

A punkish band I haven’t seen named (warning: as politically incorrect as it gets) is Molotov. I had an Argentinian internal client who would burst out into Frijolero when he got angry at “them Americans” - the Mexicans tried to sush him, the majority of the Americans (being very Anglo, very middle-aged and very much from Philadelphia) had no idea what the heck was going on.

I started listening to country on Radio 3 (such a long time ago!) when I realized that, unlike most other English-language music, I could actually understand 99% of the lyrics in those songs. Years later and living in Miami I was laughing my ass off at my “edgy” friends sudden worship of Shania Twain… whom I’d heard on the local country station before someone came up with the bright idea to record pop versions.

I like Enanitos Verdes, and that is one of their most famous song (if not the most). I have their EnVivo CD, and I really like “Luz de día”, “Amores Lejanos”, “Cordillera”, and “Mal de amores”.

I think they’ve mentioned other songs of Café Tacuba that you can add to your Pandora seed, if it works (Pandora tends to be VERY repetitive once you’ve “liked” a song, IMHO). For my running list, I have “La locomotora” and “Las flores”. Both are very fast-paced with some slower tempos, so it may be better for newbies that want to venture out.

Of Molotov I like more the songs I’ve heard from the first two albums compared to the later one (ie, the albums before the album that has “Frijolero”). Please keep in mind, it would be a good way to learn vulgar and curse words in Spanish (both general Spanish and regional Mexican Spanish).

My favorite female singer is Mexico’s Rocio Banquels

Bonus! Molotov’s “Frijolero” has a bit of English in it. Ahem.

“Don’t call me a gringo, you fucking beaner
Stay on your side of the river
You fucking beaner”

“goddamn river!”

I knew I’d get wrong going from memory.

When in doubt, always assume a Molotov song has more cussing than you remember.

I found the music video for Frijolero and they bleeped the swear words. You couldn’t listen to it with that much bleeping! Luckily, I found an uncensored version of the video.

Nava, my thoughts exactly. :wink: So, with the swearwords bleeped, did it sound like a futurustic rap?

OK, this made me laugh.

I’ll have a chance to check out some of this music tomorrow, I’m looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys!

YES! I love that song and her. I saw her live in Minneapolis in 98 (I think) and she put on such a fun show. Especially for a woman her age (she was in her 70s).

This thread inspired me to start a rock n roll en espanol Pandora station. I had included some Hispanic songs/artists in my kitchen sink station, but I think it’s different enough to warrant its own station. I also have stations for Xmas music and Classical.

rare to find, but great if you like progressive rock (which is not a stretch since you mentioned Eno) - the Chilean prog folk band Los Jaivas.

One tip: For some reason, whenever I put Spanish rock into some online radio stations, the awful, awful, Mexican band El Tri (or Los Tri, I can’t/won’t remember) pops up. Ignore it, please? :wink:

OK, I’ve had a listen to some more of these. I love Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, and Siniestro Total is awesome too. Disorden Publico is my other favourite of those mentioned (that I’ve got to - sorry!).

With this in mind, are there any others in particular I should have a look at?

If not, hey, I’m really happy with what I’ve been recommended. Thank you all.

Other ska/fast rock bands: Los Rabanes, Los Pericos, Seguridad Social.

Slower reggaeish/skaish music: Los Cafres. I love “Objeto Sexual”, despite it being very… very… well, very sexist for the audiences in this message board. And personally, since I’m female, I twist the words to suit me. “Dios ojos me dió/obvio que los voy a usar” :smiley:

The big bands such as Maná and Los Enanitos Verdes have songs ranging from rock to ska to slower rock/romantic rock/reggaish. Same for Aterciopelados. Florecita Rockera and Baracunatana are two songs where the female lead is singing a male character (if that makes sense).

One whose songs are kind of silly, and I like its sound after listening to others, is Andrés Calamaro. He also had an older band (Los Rodríguez), which also has rock songs. Julieta Venegas, mentioned earlier, has covered one of his songs, Sin Documentos, altering the gender, of course.

Another one of the guys in Los Rodríguez was Ariel Rot: he was also in Tequila (back when I was in high school, their records are finally being released on digital formats now) and has done a lot of work solo and lots of production work. You may want to use his 2007 record “Dúos, tríos y otras perversiones” as a pointer for other possible “likes”; one of the groups there that I think you may like is Fito y los Fitipaldis.

About something else KarlGrenze mentioned: the lead singer of Mecano is a woman, but the writers were the brothers Cano (mostly Nacho), so 95% of their lyrics are a male talking in the first person. But that’s very common in Spanish music: maybe half the songs María Dolores Pradera recorded were a man speaking.