Recommendations for homemade pizza...

We’re having some close friends over for homemade pizza on Saturday. Would anyone have any suggestions for cool homemade pizza topping combos?
We’ll be making the dough and using mozzarella and gorgonzola cheese.

Doper foodie contingent, help! :slight_smile:

Baby 'bella mushrooms, sliced, sauteed in garlic? Always a hit.

Green olives? I love green olives on pizza but no one else ever uses them.

Fresh basil leaves placed right at the end of cooking? Maybe with thin slices of fresh tomato for a caprese salad effect?

We often make our own and the following are hits (but not too imaginative):
satay sauce base, shredded chicken, salami and capsicum, and cheese
tomato base, roasted eggplant, artichoke, chopped fresh tomato (or sundried), crumbled goasts cheese
tomato base, jalapenos, chopped fresh tomato, shredded chicken, cheese
tomato base, shredded ham, hot shaved salami, black or kalamata olives, mushrooms, anchovies and cheese
tomato base, shredded ham, cheese and a lightly beaten egg over the top
tomato base, squid, mussells, whitebait, prawns, dusting of lemon pepper and cheese

Don’t get stoned and accidentally use powdered sugar instead of flour.

Ok, that was 28 years ago. I’ve learned since then. :wink:
Serious suggestion: Alfredo sauce (not tomato), garlic and chicken.

Pitch the mozzarella (well, not pitch, but use it for something else) and replace with something more flavorful. With gorgonzola, add some sliced tomatoes, carmelized onions (really easy, see Larousse Gastronomique or The Joy of Cooking), roasted red pepper and some Cremini or oyster mushrooms.

Actually, one of my favorites is a tomato base with blue cheese and finely chopped red onion and parsley. The cooking tends to moderate the flavor of the blue cheese into something very mild, and the onion adds sweetness making a delightful pizza.

I also like Japanese eggplant (lightly grilled prior to application), zucchini, a couple different types of mushrooms, roasted red pepper, and sun-dried tomatos on a spinach pesto base. This is even good on a polenta or whole wheat crust.

I could go on all night, but much of the fun of pizza is experimenting with toppings. Go wild.

Stranger

Artichoke hearts with sauteed chicken, mushrooms, and onions is one of my favorites.

This, stipulating grilled chicken. Add mushrooms if desired, and do have some crushed red pepper on hand. Alfredo pizza is absurdly good.

ETA: With mozzarella, of course. Fresh ground pepper is also excellent with this.

Both no-sauce pizzas:

Mozzarella, chopped prosciutto, thin-sliced peaches/nectarines, chopped basil, sprinkling of parmesan, sea salt or kosher salt after it comes out of the oven

Gorgonzola, garlic, chopped walnuts, arugula, sprinkling of parmesan

Garlic/olive oil base, small chunks of cooked potato, grilled chicken and rosemary.

Gorgonzola, ham and peaches makes a good pizza. Don’t pitch the mozz. Use it too. It doesn’t add a lot of flavor, but serves as a good base.

Are you making one single pizza?

Gorgonzola isn’t necessarily a great pizza cheese. More just for specialty stuff. If you’re going to use the mozz, get some combination of fontina, romano, asiago, and real parmesan cheese to combine with it.

You can forgo the mozzerella if you just want to use fontina as your base cheese.

But, gorgonzola does go well with earthy mushrooms and onions, too. I like Stranger’s suggestions.

At a local place our family went to that I hadn’t been in for over 30 years, we had a Buffalo Chicken Pizza.

A buffalo sauce (like the chicken wings), grilled chicken, red onions and blue cheese. It was damned good! We scarfed that baby down faster than either of the other two pizzas we had on the table.

French Bread pizza. Spares the work of making the crust.

I love margherita pizzas, and this is the right time of year for them.

Olive oil brushed on the crust, top with chopped tomatoes (must be fresh, truly ripe tomatoes - it’s not nearly as good with store-bought), minced garlic, finely diced red onion, and just a little mozz & parmesan/asiago/romano. Top with fresh basil after it’s baked.

One of my favorite pizzas from a local delivery dive is Cheddar cheese, bacon (regular bacon, not Canadian), and onion on a tomato sauce or garlic/olive oil base.

Mmmm… Some great suggestions. Some we’ll have to try later.

We went with a Gorgonzola/Goat Cheese/Mozzarella pizza with artichoke hearts, salami, red peppers, and olives. Very tasty. And the homemade crust was awesome.

I had suggested the eggplant as well, but was vetoed by wevetlady.

Some other time… Thanks for all the suggestions!

May a humble Irish newb suggest sweetcorn?

I was over in Canada recently, and we ordered pizza, and were told to our shock that the people of the North American continent do not add corn to pizza. The woman that we were staying with said that she had never heard of such a thing.
It’s not my favorite, but its an very popular topping in Ireland, and most people think that its a great addition to any pizza.

Just if you are doing this again and want to experiment.

Garlic, garlic, garlic and more garlic. Then maybe some garlic on the side to add garlic to taste. Just enough cheese to keep it glued on. White pizza.

Substitute tomato sauce with PESTO. And don’t forget more garlic. Lots of garlic. Mmmm. Green pizza. Looks like TB on Toast. Few will want you to ‘share’.

Artichoke hearts. And pesto. Oh, and olives. Yeah. And garlic.

Don’t forget the garlic.

Oh, and the ‘Pizza Pepper’ is called ‘Crushed Red Pepper’. It took me a long, long time to find it the first time I went to look for it in a store, because I was looking for ‘Pizza Pepper’, because that’s the only use I ever had for the stuff and thought that was its name. It’s not. It was like shopping in the UK and discovering a whole aisle of ‘relish’, but none of it the cucumber-based sort, along with all of their curious snack-name rotations.

Toaster oven. Little submarine-sandwich sized loaves of sourdough bread. Chop it down, dump stuff on top, stick it in, turn the dial, start drooling when it goes ‘ding’.

But seriously, the garlic. Don’t forget it.

Ingredients:

* 1/2 Cup Pizza Sauce
    * 2 Tbs Olive Oil
    * 3 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
    * 1/2 Cup Buttom Mushrooms, Chopped
    * 1/2 Cup Shitake Mushrooms, Chopped
    * 1/2 Cup Portobello Mushrooms, Chopped
    * 1 Cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
    * 3 ounces Blue Cheese, Crumbled

Directions:

1. Saute chopped mushrooms in olive oil
   2. Add chopped garlic and saute for 2 minutes
   3. Spread pizza sauce evely over pizza dough
   4. Layer mozzarella cheese evenly
   5. Spoon sauted mushrooms evenly over cheese, crumble blue cheese over entire pizza

www.homemade-pizza-made-easy.com

Corn on pizza is wrong on so many levels. What is it with Europeans and corn on pizza. Your corn is dry and blah. It isn’t sweet corn, not any kind I’ve had in Germany and England.

Pineapple on pizza is right on so many levels.

Garlic is good, too.

I put garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese in the dry flour mix for the crust.