Record low highs and record high lows?

Today here (Jacksonville, FL) it apparently won’t ever get out of the 30’s, which is something I cannot remember ever happening before, tho it likely did (given I’ve been here off and on for 40 years now). Do they keep track of such things in the records? I mean there’s a substantial difference between a low of 32 and a high of 60, and a low of 32 and a high of 39, isn’t there? Likewise 65-100 vs. 80-100…

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jax/

there is a tab for daily climate

Weather underground’s Almanac tab for Jacksonville indicates that the historical range of daily high for this day of the year is 36 to 87 degrees F.

Interesting question: They do keep records that would be parseable. Seattle had a day last week where the low for the day was 50F and the high was 51F Blog post about the event. It only tied the record boring temperature change so it isn’t completely uncommon. It is almost better in Celsius as 50F=10C and 51F=10.5556C so it is almost a non-temperature change day.

The NOAA and wunderground are both great places to find massive amounts of data regarding highs and lows.

If you follow that blog and even that post, you can see how exciting it can be to pick apart weather data for “records” and weather “events” as Seattle has really boring weather but you wouldn’t guess it based on that blog.

Charleston, SC’s, previous low maximum for this date (1/29) was 41. We shattered that record today, and this was the third record low maximum for this month of January. So yes, The Weather Bureau does keep those records.