I tried to post my solution yesterday, but the hampsters ate it.
jjimm, pretty well nailed it.
I filled the bottle with cold water to the top so the bouyancy of the cork would give me a start on the seal.
Then I tapped the bottom of the bottle on the table to use the “waterhammer” effect to further seat the cork.
Then I placed the bottle upright in a fairly deep pot of water and started heating it up to a boil. (I determined that as long as the heat in the bottle wasn’t undergoing a steep gradient temperature variation, that there would be minimal stresses due to temperature induced expansion.)
I had expected that initially I would get some bypass around the cork as the warm water expanded, which was observable as water formed above the cork. But the cork expanded due to the steam and I begun to observe gases forming at the base of the cork and no bubbles breaking through into the little reservoir on top of the cork.
The cork slowly began to creep up the neck to within 2 cm of the rim whereupon I was able to thread the cork screw in and withdraw the cork.
I’m really surprised that there are marketed solutions to this problem. After all, it is easy enough to decant the wine and throw the bottle away.