Recreational outrage Dan Patrick's tweet

I looked at the graphic, then checked the posts in my business profile that had been scheduled days before. Each showed a last modified time around the time they were posted, not when they were scheduled. It may be dependent on whatever scheduler is used, I don’t know that. I would call that person’s Facebook post, at best, inconclusive.

Wrong Dan Patrick. Our Lite Gov was also a sports commentator on radio–with an assumed name. (He used to be Dannie Scott Goeb.) Then he started talking about politics. Then he actually got into politics. Alas. He’s managed to distinguish himself among Texas Republicans. Not in a good way.

He’s the subject of this month’s Loon Star State–the Texas Observer’s cartoon. (At the bottom of the page.) Which was drawn a couple of weeks ago but is relevant. As in, he’s a “Christian” who’s only pretending.

Dan Patrick doesn’t get up every Sunday morning & meditate to find a suitable verse for the day. It’s all computerized.

And the Lord said, Be not like the Pharisee, who makes public display of his prayers and piety, but retire to a quiet room and tweet out your worship, for, verily, there is an app for that.

Jesus Christ. Humans are disgusting. Scrap it all and give it to the dolphins.

One word: Texas. Actually the large part of about a dozen states, so make that two words: Bible belt. Of course you have to give the word “legitimate” a broad interpretation here, one in which the hypocrisy of appealing to the fundies in order to get and stay elected is deemed “legitimate”.

Start with something in the Constitution about not shoving any particular religion down anyone’s throat. The principle of separation of church and state. The avoidance of offensive hateful bullshit like the offensive hateful bullshit that is the subject of this thread. Any one of those is plenty good enough.

My thoughts went to Danica Patrick, but they typically need more of a reason to NOT go to her.

It comes across as pandering, too. Christians don’t typically tweet Bible verses through a scheduler either. They might tweet one that had appeal to them in their lives at that moment. And a church or specialty account might do it. But not the laity.

It always comes off pretty pharisaical–proclaiming your righteousness to the world.

By definition, there is nothing in any famous quotation that hasn’t been said and repeated before.

The reason to proclaim (by tweet or otherwise) well-worn words–really the only legitimate reason–is when they perfectly encapsulate one’s feelings or message in a specific time and context. The purpose is not exactly to ‘say’ the thing, in the sense of providing a new insight, but rather to refer to memetic content people already know. To invoke the resonance.

So, yeah, scheduling random quotes of anything, days in advance, is brain-dead.

Yep.

In addition to the point about expressing your own feelings by surfing the resonance of Biblical quotes, I get that in small religious Christian communities like local churches, sharing Bible verses is perceived as giving little gifts of inspiration, sort of like a philosophical origami. At the level of small communities, doing that is a thought-out gift, and is targeted at the like-minded. The practice of distributing Bible verses is defensible on that limited basis, no matter how much the rest of us might find it indistinguishable from glurge.

But automating the process so that a) that crap is spammed to the Universe and b) the initial thoughtfulness and giftiness is completely lost is just…nauseating.

Some things don’t scale. Sometimes hand-made can’t be industrialised.

Agreed - the law forcing everyone to subscribe to the Texas lieutenant governor’s Twitter feed should be rescinded.

Regards,
Shodan