Red Bull heir arrested in deadly Thai hit-and-run

he only went 200 meters (600 feet) after hitting the motorcycle cop.

in a Ferrari, that’s about 1.7 seconds

He tested positive for alcohol…but I wonder if he also had a large amount of caffeine in his system?

Because she also struck and killed a Thai person with her car?

Yeah, you can only get away with running over Thai people in Thailand. Here in the US I think it’s still a crime.

Here, you score points.

Update today. Prosecutors are still trying to figure out whether they should charge the poor boy.

I can tell you this has completely left the public eye. No one cares about this anymore.

Update yesterday (Wednesday). Indictment delayed for the fourth time.

From the story: “The attorney-general also instructed that further investigations be made after the suspect asked for justice and to be allowed to call four more witnesses to testify in the case.”

Four more witnesses? :confused:

But at least we’re assured there is nothing underhanded going on: “He insisted that there was no attempt by authorities to drag out legal proceedings against the wealthy Red Bull heir.”

And again, this has dropped completely off the public radar. No one cares.

I haven’t drunk a single can of Red Bull since the incident.

Small update: The public prosecutor will decide on Monday whether to indict the poor little rich boy.. Gee, I wonder what will happen.

No prizes for guessing they won’t indict him at all or they will and then quietly sweep it under the rug. Another wealthy heir – but one not nearly this rich – a few years back out of meanness ran his car into a crowd of people getting off a bus, because the bus had cut him off or somehow otherwise offended him. Deaths involved. He was sentenced to prison but is still free. I don’t think he even showed up in court.

Ah yes, I see I had already mentioned him way up above. :o

Late Tuesday morning over here and if anything did happen yesterday, neither the English- nor the Thai-language press have given it even a mention.

Still no mention in the news, but a news source told me privately today that the indictment was quietly postponed again yesterday. This makes something like the fifth time. I don’t know the reason this time or why it’s been kept out of the news, but I’m sure the prosecutors are getting tired of the bad publicity.

They keep making a big deal about the statute of limitations for the speeding charge expiring on Tuesday of next week, but really, I’d think the speeding charge would be peanuts compared with what all else the punk could be charged with.

Thai justice is sinking to levels previously unknown other than in the US!:eek:

Oh, I think I could show you worse in a few other countries around here.

Turns out there was a small blurb in yesterday’s (Tuesday’s) Bangkok Post. They just didn’t link to it on their website for some reason. But I have it here in front of me. On an inside page, it says the delay was because “… police had yet to finish questioning six witnesses, including two people who could give information regarding the speed at which Mr Vorayuth’s Ferrari was going.”

It also says: “Mr Vorayuth’s lawyer also sought the postponement, claiming his client was sick.” Aw, poor little guy.

It was indeed the fifth delay, and the indictment announcement has been rescheduled for next Monday morning. This is no doubt because the statute of limitations on the speeding charge expires next Tuesday, but he could also be charged with “reckless driving causing death” and “failing to stop his vehicle to help his victim,” so it seems to me the speeding charge would be the least of his worries. I wonder – just speculation here – if they might want to convict him of speeding so that something would appear on his record while quietly squashing the cop killing.

Holy fuck :eek:

Indeed. But the father that I mentioned was a deputy prime minister is a loud-mouth who recently got busted down for being annoying. Now he’s just the labor minister. (Really.)

And his son who killed the cop and was made a police officer last year? The cop he killed, that cop’s son is also now a Bangkok police officer himself. Man, that must make for some tension around the department, I don’t care how big Bangkok is.

A small ray of hope: The Office of the Attorney General has ordered prosecutors to indict the little brat before the statute of limitations on the traffic offense expires on Tuesday. So we’ll see.

So the kid was a no-show again, as can be seen here: Red Bull heir off the hook on speeding charge.

But you have to feel sympathy for the poor little rich boy. He wanted to meet with prosecutors yesterday (Monday.) Really he did. But he (supposedly) went to Singapore last week on business and (supposedly) planned to return to Thailand on Sunday. But gosh darn it, wouldn’t ya know? He came down with the flu at the last moment, and a doctor in Singapore ordered bed rest for a while until he could return. Gosh darn it, of all the rotten luck for the kid.

So the speeding charge is out the window, the statute of limitations on that having expired today after one year. But he’s still liable to “reckless driving causing death” and “failing to stop his vehicle to help his victim” charges. And I find it encouraging that both the English- and the Thai-language press are keeping the spotlight on this.

But still, I think I know how it will ultimately turn out. :frowning:

And the press is keeping up the heat with: ‘Justice has failed’ in Vorayudh hit-and-run

You may have noticed by now the different spellings of his name, Vorayudh and Vorayuth. That’s due to the vagaries of transliteration. If his name were spelled in our alphabet how it actually sounded, it would be more like Worayoot.