Red Bull heir arrested in deadly Thai hit-and-run

Why did you bring up Senser in the first place, in a thread about Thailand?

Everything I know about Thailand I’ve learned from reading Christopher G Moore, but your right up there with him! :smiley:

Indeed. There have been some very odd posts in this thread.

(If you mean my post about Christopher G Moore, I meant it as a compliment to you. If you haven’t read his stuff, it probably came off as odd, though. Sorry.)

Thanks. No, none of yours were any of the odd ones I was mentioning, heh. :wink:

Ahh, one of the other farang.:smiley:

<remembers to pack Risk of Infidelity Index into the weekend bag> It’s one of the last paper books I bought, and Moore’s the only author I buy non-paperbacks from. I hate paying more for his just because they are printed in a bigger format so they can charge more, but…they’re worth it. Well, most of them are.

Because I can comprehend the other words in the thread topic, naturally.

Funny how nobody else seems to comprehend them the same way that you do.

The family of the dead Thai cop would not doubt be encouraged to learn that every once in a while, someone screws up and a rich person in the United States is brought to justice.

Yeah, isn’t it? What the hell is wrong with them? It’s a conspiracy, I’m sure of it.

Well, it made *me *happy. I’m just trying to spread the joy.

A good take on the situaion

A small update. Boss – the perp’s nickname – will be called in for questioning again tomorrow (Tuesday) about his blood test apparently testing positive for cocaine. However, a police Lt-Colonel is already making excuses: “If he tested positive for illegal substances it still might not mean that the accused was abusing drugs, because some medicines can affect the tests, such as cough syrup,” he’s quoted as saying. Hmmm.

You don’t hear much about cocaine in Thailand. From what I know, it’s used mainly by high-society types, many of whom first tried it while attending school abroad. There doesn’t seem to be any large-scale importation, but from time to time they catch someone bringing in smallish amounts (in dealer terms) for sale just among friends.

Well, Tuesday has come and gone, but it’s not clear if the kid was actually questioned again. There was a small item in the paper that is oddly missing from the website in which a National Police spokesman cautioned the media against jumping to any conclusions regarding cocaine use. And the same Lt-Colonel mentioned before said the kid’s family had originally requested the blood testing be done at a private hospital, and so “The blood test results came in medical terms in a foreign language, so they cannot be used as evidence yet.” The foreign language presumably being English.

Hmmm. :dubious:

Ah yes, the old problem of cough syrups causing a false positive for cocaine. Extremely common, especially with the Cocatussin and NoseQandy brands.

Just a short update. It’s been a full week now – it’s Tuesday morning over here – since the Red Bull heir was supposed to have been called in for further questioning, but nada in the news. Who knows if the further questioning even took place?

Meanwhile, the headlines are now being filled with a Police General Hospital doctor on whose property on the upper peninsula several bodies have been discovered buried. That story they’re not going to let go (nor should they, of course).

And a short front-page story in Wednesday’s newspaper: Red Bull clan pay B3m to victim’s kin

The Red Bull family will pay 3 million baht to the family of the cop. That’s US$96,700 at today’s exchange rate and chump change to this wealthy family. I am guessing this will end the entire matter, with the case allowed to peter out quietly now. At any rate, I guarantee the kid will not spend any jail time, and it is highly doubtful the case will even make it to court.

It seems life is cheap over there

Only if you’re rich.

A sad update on the case. The kid’s money is working hard to protect him.