Red Haired People Are Fucking Repulsive.

Or maybe there’s already a surplus of “pissed off” in the world and some people just need to learn to chill.

As a blonde male, my favorite blonde joke is, “Q. Why did the blonde have a bruised navel? A. Because her boyfriend was blonde too.”

I asked the SO (red hair, green eyes, white skin but no freckles) if anyone ever gave her shit about being a redhead and she looked confused and said “no.” I told her that someone told me people in Britain gave people with red hair hell and she looked even more confused and said “for being Scottish?” :smiley:

I never met a redhead I didn’t like - and quite a few of the flaming redheads I met were men - with gorgeous, yummy red hair. Love it.

Me? I’m a blonde. ::Sigh::

Woo hoo! Is she married? I’ve always had a thing for redheaded women. Unfortunately, they never seem to return the favor. :frowning:

We have a red-headed exec in the office and he gets shit from everyone. He’s like our Rodney Dangerfield. His nickname was Doogie for a long time, then he finally grew a beard and mustache and that seemed to help a little. I think they promoted him so he could be the office whipping boy. Some of the things they’ve done and said to him are extremely vicious.

In my extended family, the carpet doesn’t match the drapes, because the sun tends to bleach our particular shade of red out to a golden or strawberry blonde. (It’s a joke in my family, so I’m assuming that it’s true for all of us, I don’t know from personal experience, thank goodness!) I was born with long, dark red curls and strangers were constantly coming up to me to ask if it was a wig, which drove my mom nuts. It eventually faded to strawberry blonde, and it’s not nearly as curly. My uncle is the only one of us immediately identified as a redhead and it’s become a darker auburn as he’s aged.

Thankfully, many redheaded men are big, burly bastards who’d rather dish out a beating than take any shit over their pigmentation.

Not that this applies to me, of course. I have semi-visible eyelashes. :wink:

Oh, god…big, burly redheaded men.

I think I’m going to swoon…catch me?

We redheads also have the best-looking beards. (The males, that is. The women, not so much.)

You can’t be a redhead, or if you are you were home-schooled. Being a little kid with red hair sucks. On one hand you can’t go anywhere without some stranger - you know the people you’re not supposed to talk to - coming up to you and telling you how pretty your hair is. Which is great if you’re shy or would rather not be noticed. And on the other kids give you shit about having red hair from the ages of 6 to about 12. Every. fucking. day. And little boys like my brother have it worse than girls in some regards, girls don’t beat each other up, physically, as often. Fully half of the little boys in his karate class were redheads, too…

The renowned redhead temper is nurture, not nature. Those of us who are not particularly meek to begin with learned to fight back with words. (or maybe that’s only those of us who grew up before school shootings came into vogue). I don’t know what happened to the shy ones.

Beyond being harrassed by classmates constantly, this strange dichotomy messes with kids on a phychological level too. Do you believe the adults who tell you red hair is a good thing, or other kids who tell you it’s ugly and somehow bad? It leaves a lot of people with confused self-image issues well into adulthood.

It sounds like from what bubastis has experienced there are a lot of assholes in the UK who never mature beyond the sixth grade.

As an adult red hair is no longer a source of angst for me, but I’d hate to pass it along to a kid. No longer angst, but I still have weird old people come up to me and talk about my hair, or worse touch it. I don’t want most of the people I know touching me, never mind creepy strangers. There are a lot of people who should learn some damn boundries.

I hate that people dye their hair red too. Posers.

:stuck_out_tongue:
I guess I can kind of understand the animosity towards people who die their hair red; it’s probably similar to what I feel when I see people wearing glasses just to look trendy or whatever.

I’ve never had any problems with being a redhead. Frankly, men seem to be quite drawn to redheads. Even redheads (like me) who are telling them that “I am not the redhead that you think you are seeking” can’t seem to get rid of them sometimes. Well, of course you get rid of them eventually. Still… Sorry if you don’t buy that,…it’s truth. Men love redheads, or at least… from my personal experience…it seems that they do.

The only prejudice I ever have ever found is the stereotype of the “bad temper” thing. That redheads have “bad tempers” and that they are into “fighting” alot. And throwing things.

I don’t have a bad temper, and I seldom get really angry. When I DO get really angry, I am usually too speechless even to yell…so there you go. Squelch that stereotype. PLEASE?

:smiley:

Thank you so much.

Firey wench, isn’t she?

bub is right; I think it has to do with the preponderance of the really pale, light eyebrowed and eyelashed redheads I encountered quite a bit in the UK (my opinion). Imagine if Anthony Michael Hall circa The Breakfast Club was a redhead. That’s what most of the redheaded kids I remember looked like. Here in the States I’ve tended to see redheads who are darker, can tan a little, a little buffer… it’s sort of like a prejudice against kids who wear glasses. Socially acceptable to take the piss, and people who aren’t ginger see it as good-natured ribbing. I had a friend who was pretty big kid, but got shit constantly for being a redhead. I can see how it would be annoying, especially since no-one tends to take it really seriously.

Wow, that’s weird. I read further and saw where other dopers were explaining that it’s a UK thing.

My last boyfriend (and still good friend) is a redhead with green eyes. I am now very partial to redheads. I wasn’t against them prior to going out with Luke, but now I REALLY notice them.

I can’t imagine what someone would have against hair color (though I have to admit, the whole “blonde = dumb” thing makes me a bit irritated from time to time).

I’m what most would call a big, burly, and barrel chested guy w/ auburn hair and beard that turns red in the summer. I’ve got blue eyes and a tan… sound kinda ghostly huh?
I’m of Scots/Irish ancestry and I gotta tell ya… ain’t nothin hotter than a sexy redheaded woman. I can think of a hell of a lot of 'em from tv. Care to name a few? Died or natural matters not. How 'bout it.
As a kid, I think we all had the hots for “Ginger” on Gilligans Island. Even though I liked Mary Ann too.
Then again, I like all women. race, hair color, nationality and age, etc. etc… who cares? Hell, I like 'em w/ no hair.
So chill out bub, you got fans. Maybe you’re just living in the wrong place? Too many carrot tops where you live, huh?
oo-ooo … speakin of Carrot Top you gotta admit, handsome he ain’t!
Hey, next time somebody cracks wise, just beat 'em like a redheaded step child. <heh>

Sorry I couldn’t hep mysef. :wink:

just a few names from
http://www.redandproud.com/famous%20redheads%20silver%20screen%20M-Z.htm
Marilyn Monroe was born a red head
Marilu Henner
Ann Margaret
Annie Potts
Katherine Hepburn
Maureen O’Hara
Susan Sarandon
etc
etc.
and countless others.

How about some red head jokes? Wanna hear some?

I realize that I’m just a lowly guest here (for now), but sorry, jayjay, he can catch you *after * he catches me, 'cause I’ve been swooning over readheads for eons, and I could sure use some big, burly redheaded man right about now. Oh, wait–he’s probably not into dudes. You win, then. :slight_smile:

Like jimbeam, I’m pretty much all over the map in terms of my attractions (accounting for individuality, of course), but I tend to have a strong attraction to redheaded guys (and I totally had a crush on a redheaded girl back in my (first) college days when I was trying, quite futilely, to convince myself that I was hetero). Hmmm…I wonder if good ole Mary R. has a redheaded brother that I didn’t know about back then.

I also have this thing for shorter men (I’m ~6’ tall). Wonder what *that’s * about!

And yeah, I can understand feeling deceived when non-reds dye their hair for the thrill. I get the same way about folks who dye their skin black. Hmph–tryin’ to crash my party! :wink:

If he’s not into men, we’re both out of luck. :slight_smile:

This must be a cultural thing. I’m not a redhead, but I did have one in my class. He had the whole package - bright, fiery hair, pale skin, freckles to burn - and he was one of the cool kids. No taunting there. I seriously never heard of this until this thread. I’ve only ever heard redheadedness mentioned as a positive.

Let’s throw them in the gas chamber.

First, OPs trying to make a dumb analogy go. Then all that try to make a dumb joke go. Finally, anyone who replies to the stupides thread ever gets baked. Look like I may be the first to the ovenss, but at least I realize why I’m being roasted

Ooo, new addition to my growing 133t lexicon. “put j00 in da ov3nzzzzz! pwn0zr3d!”