Red Lobster after COVID

Weird–here in North Carolina, these are still at every Bojangles I’ve been to. Which admittedly isn’t that many, but I’ve eaten there maybe half a dozen times since the lockdowns began, and that’s my standard order, and they’ve always had it.

I make buttermilk herby cheese drop biscuits pretty often: they’re really simple with a food processor, and they’re ridiculously tasty. Folks have told me they’re kinda like Red Lobster biscuits, although I don’t dip mine in butter.

What’s weirder is that I’m also in North Carolina. Maybe it’s just my local market - or even that one specific Bojangles near my work. (Just to be clear, by the way, I’m not talking about the biscuit, I’m talking about the sandwich).

It may have to do with your location. Ours always had a separate menu of catch of the day – a listing of fresh fish items that could be baked or broiled.

I have noticed that the quality of fish at a Red Lobster is dependant on how near they are to the ocean.

Yeah, the sandwich is great, definitely talking about that. I dunno, maybe it’s just one. (There was one we went to that didn’t serve them, but that’s because it was closed down entirely).

I only went into Bojangle’s once and it left a bad impression because they gave me the smallest chicken pieces I ever saw. It was like a pigeon. Drumstick looked like a wing drumstick. Maybe it was just that location but it soured me on the whole franchise.

If you are not already, you really need to get a gig as a food critic. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My wife had a gift certificate, so we went there for lunch last month. I had their new Kung Poa noodles with crispy shrimp, which was excellent. She had fish and chips, which she said was mediocre. The biscuits are still good.

Weird. I’ve sometimes had the sandwich be old, like it’d been sitting under the heat lamp too long, but the servings have never been small. When the chicken is fresh, it’s really flippin good.

Y’all makin’ me miss Wendy’s fried chicken. Great stuff but, IME, only available at one location in Northern Virginia and they quit serving it long before the place was torn down for redevelopment.

They’re back! At least at my local IHOP; went there the Friday before Labor Day and something reminded me to post about it just now.

My wife used to buy Red Lobster branded Cheddar Bay Bisquit mix from Costco, and the final step after taking the baked bisquits out of the oven is to add a packet of seasoning powder to melted butter (basically, instant scampi sauce) and drzzle over the bisquits. So, yeah.

As for the restaurant itself, it gets a lot of hate, but… haven’t been there post-Covid, but pre-Covid, I always enjoyed our visits. I would get a steamed Maine live lobster, baked potato with sour cream & chives, and broccoli. Simple, perfect meal, that you can’t really ruin or go wrong with. Couple beers to wash it down, doesn’t get much better than that.

I absolutely love Red Lobster, but unfortunately here in Canada (or maybe this is an Ontario thing), supply chain disruption amidst COVID has pared down the menu. My favorite meal there is the blackened trout; it’s been unavailable for over a year. The whole section of the menu where there were four or five different types of fish, prepared four or five different ways, is gone. I went on my birthday and settled for tilapia, however they were going to prepare it.

My husband and I enjoy Red Lobster, especially the biscuits. I’ve made a “copycat” biscuit, but it wasn’t as good.

Their fried whitefish isn’t as good–maybe because they aren’t using flounder. I hope they go back to that.

I get fried shrimp at red lobster. It’s pretty good.

I haven’t been to Red Lobster since Covid.

I prefer Long John Silver for seafood take out.

Late to the party as this thread just got bumped, but they do have sugar free syrup at IHOP for sure. I don’t remember if it’s Smuckers (which is the least good of all SF syrups) in packets, or something else in a pourable container.

Cracker Barrel also has very good SF syrup, and Denny’s has some too.

I was going to mention Chuy’s! They used to have the Elvis Presley Memorial Platter (or something like that) but it’s not on the menu any more. I usually either get a burrito or crunchy tacos these days. I think paring down the menu is a good thing for a lot of restaurants. At least from my perspective, when I see a book sized menu I don’t think the food is going to be very good. Cut the menu down to a few dishes you can prepare really well.

To stay on subject, I remember back when Red Lobster was where we went for a semi-special occasions like birthdays back in the 80s. And we didn’t eat out as often back then as we do now so going to Red Lobster was a real treat. I haven’t been to a Red Lobster since 2001 when my wife decided she hated the place. And because we have more options for seafood these days I haven’t really missed it that much. Once in a while I joke about going just for the biscuits but my wife won’t budge.

Yeah, I’ve had their bottled SF syrup. Just not sure whether that stuff exists in packets and they were only serving packets at the time.

I got crepes this time and didn’t bother with syrup.