Redundantly named places

Bora-Bora?

I have heard people say the Rio Grande River.

In my town we have Oak Avenue Parkway.

In central NSW is a waterway called the Billabong Creek which would be a redundancy.

But Billabong Creek flows for 320km (200m) and is the longest creek in the world, so it should be named Billabong River … which is a contradiction.

From that wiki list, a triple tautonym!

Mekong River - A triple tautonym.

‘Mae’ in Thai is an abbreviation for “river”, while ‘khong’ is an old Austroasiatic word for river. Mekong River can thus be translated as “river river river

Really, really. Really!

You forgot Tucson has the Rillito, or, as people like to call it, the Rillito River. Rillito means little river.

Panera Bread

A major thoroughfare, too. But curse you for beating me to it!

Not really related to place names, but I always thought it was odd that the US Postal Service was once named “Post Office Department”. Wut? “Office” implies a division of an organization. So does “department”. There’s one too many adjectives there. It’s like saying “Department of the Postal Services Department”.

The La Brea Tar Pits = the the tar tar pits

There is a Spring Street Road near where I work.

Montreal has a “Crescent Street”. It runs in a straight line - no curves.

Hill Hill Hill Hill

Torpenhow Hill
Though there isn’t really a hill there.

The municipality in which I live is officially the City of Cape Town. In Afrikaans it is even more redundant: Stad Kaapstad.

Not a place, a team, but I always thought it amusing that ‘The Los Angeles Angels’ translates to ‘The The Angels Angels’.

Nobody’s named New York, New York yet?

We have one of those here also, my brother is buried in Dry Creek Cemetery in fact. There is an actual creek that is dry for some portion of the year that is the source of the name.

Ah, beat me to my favorite one by 3 hours.

In some kinds of documents, cities are often mentioned with the words “City of ________”. e.g., the web site of Austin, Texas has the headline “Welcome to the Official Website of The City of Austin”.

But some cities include the word City as part of their name, e.g., Culver City (CA).

Do such city names ever get prepended with the words “City of”? e.g., something like “City of Culver City”. The Culver City web site does not, but I’m almost sure I’ve seen this kind of thing elsewhere. Can anybody think of an example?

Both the “City of Kansas City, Missouri” and the “City of Oklahoma City” appear to style themselves that way.

City of University City, MO (on official documents).

Maybe not quite matching the template, but there’s a Temporary Road in Reston, VA that’s anything but temporary. (And a Derosnec Drive not far away–have not been able to find the history of that name, but there must be a story! My guess is the county nixed another name and the developer was irritated.)

In some states, the phrase “[The] City of” is part of all incorporated cities’ names. City here is a legal term, with whatever requirements the state has for that status. So any Xxxx City in those states will have an official name of “[The] City of Xxxx City”. If you want an example, the facebook page for King City OR:

Along these lines is the unusual case of The Village of Indian Hill, OH:

They really wanted to be a Village no matter how large they grew.