Redundantly named places

One might wonder, then, why any such city would include City in its name a second time, as in your King City example.

This reminded me of King City, CA, which apparently can’t make up its mind. Their web site home page says “King City” in several places and “City of King” in several places (but never “City of King City” that I can see). Even the preview shows both phrases:

https://www.kingcity.com/

Because 99.9+% of the time, the phrase “[The] City of” is dropped in references to the place.

The village of Oostburg (dutch for EastTown) was bypassed by the railroad when it came through about two miles west of it. So denizens of Oostburg decided to move west to the railroad tracks where they built a station, homes, businesses, etc. and took the village name with them.

Yet there were still homes and people in the original village site, which quickly became known as East Oostburg, aka East East Town. That designation is found on few maps these days but older locals (such as myself) still call it that.

That’s what I always call it. :stuck_out_tongue:

My hometown!

I note that the wiki says

Torpenhow Hill (locally /trəˈpɛnə/, trə-PEN-ə)…

My bold. We got any IPA speakers in the house? I just ask because I want to know if they got it right. The name is properly pronounced Tropennah. (You may safely take that from me - native Cumbrian) (and I was going to post that, dammit!)

Instead… there are a number of UK rivers that meet the OP’s spec. The River Avon and the River Ouse are both river river. And I’ll argue that the River Piddle does too, albeit in a sneery sort of way.

j

East Timor can be translated as “East East.”

The “street” part of my address is like this, with a name that’s a kind of street, followed by another kind of street as a label (like “Road Street”, though not that). Which is ironic, since that “street”, despite having a street sign, is actually just a parking lot for my apartment complex.

You know, there is such a thing as a dry creek.

Not really, since I modified the request (post #5) to be only those that are redundant in English. If you have a River Creek or Creek River, then it’d meet my spec.

As noted earlier, there are many Dry Creeks. But then, are they really creeks?

If they are dry in the summer, but flowing in the fall and winter, I would say yes.

But if the creek is actually named Dry Creek, should its name be changed to Wet Creek every time there is water in it, and changed back to Dry Creek when there is not water in it? And when the water is gone but the ground is not fully dry yet, it should be called Damp Creek.

St. Louis has Olive Street Road. Sure, they decided to get fancy and rename it Olive Boulevard, but nobody calls it that. For that matter, everyone in St. Louis calls every street by its old name, even if the new name is now 50 years old.

Like Sixth Avenue in NYC?

Google Maps shows it as 6th Avenue. Radio City Music Hall lists its address as 1260 6th Avenue (Avenue of the Americas). If the street name is in parentheses, it can’t be official.

But Avon and Ouse are English words. Not, I’ll grant you, particularly modern English words, but English words none the less.

j

:wink:

The official name is the one in parentheses. It’s a kind of shibboleth, or used to be, for spotting out-of-town poseurs.

Yes. As far as I know, the street has never been officially renamed back to Sixth Avenue.

What about Walla Walla?

Or Pago Pago?