And yet it is amazing that it is absolutely impossible to get this style of pizza anywhere outside of the Chicago area no matter what they claim (I’m looking at you BJ’s.). To say the least when I go back to Chicago, I make sure to visit Giordano’s. It is the best pizza in the world.
[QUOTE=myskepticsight]
One of my favorite restaurants in St. Louis has a bit more variety, with different types of sauce, like alfredo or BBQ sauce for specialty pizzas. And they offer toppings like shrimp.
This thread is making me think about St. Louis pizza which is making me hungry.
[/QUOTE]
Are you talking about Fortel’s? Because that place is the pizza Olympus that serves pizza ambrosia. Imo’s is good, but Fortel’s is much better.
Provel is good. Veggies are good, mainly onions, tomatoes and olives. And pesto makes a damn good pizza sauce.
If Fortel’s is the pinnacle of pizza, then Filz shwarma shack in Habbaniyah, Iraq has to be the nadir. (Is that even the right word? It was the worst, okay?)
Some Iraqi thought he could get a few more American bucks – he was already rolling in it – by putting pizza on the menu of his otherwise acceptable shwarma/lamb-burger stand. But somebody should have told him you can’t just fake pizza. Jesus. The crust was soggy and bland, the sauce was ketchup and barbecue, and the toppings were goat cheese and cut up hot dogs and bologna. Two years later I can still taste the horror of spitting up something that called itself pizza. Pizza has been so good to me otherwise, you know? Before that day it was the friend who had never let me down. I’ll curse you until the day I die for that, Fil – if that is your real name.
[QUOTE=devilsknew]
There’s a little Greek cafe here that serves a roasted Feta appetizer. It’s simply a couple of big slabs of feta roasted with kalamata olives and red peppers in a pool of olive oil… meant to be eaten with toasted bread. It smells amazing!
I imagine this dish would translate perfectly to the top of a grilled pizza.
[/QUOTE]
Roasted feta sounds gorgeous! Inspired by all this pizza talk, I made my own pizza-like items for dinner. Greek pita breads topped with red peppers, sweet onion, mushrooms, olives (green ones, actually), and, of course, feta. I don’t use tomato as a base; rather I’ll spread a bit of salsa or, in this case, sundried tomato & oregano dressing, on the crust before adding the toppings. I’ve had a glass of water and am on my second of milk to kill the thirst but man it was good.
[QUOTE=Darryl Lict]
Around here, there used to be a parlor with pesto pizza and Thai chicken pizza, both of which were pretty killer. It may still exist, but it was ordered by delivery at someone’s house and I didn’t catch the name of it..
[/QUOTE]
Taffy’s.
[QUOTE=Christopher]
And yet it is amazing that it is absolutely impossible to get this style of pizza anywhere outside of the Chicago area no matter what they claim (I’m looking at you BJ’s.).
[/QUOTE]
Are you talking about calzone?