[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
Yup. And bonus is it’s a short walk from me. Though, really, I usually make my own version of pizza and hardly ever buy it at restaurants. I’m going to give Pacific Rim a try one of these days, though, just to see how they stack up. They’ve got one with hummous that sounds interesting.
[/QUOTE]
I live directly across the street from a Villages. Very handy when I decide I need pizza. I’ve been meaning to try the Pacific Rim hummous one too - I love pizza, and I love hummous, so why not?
When I lived in New Mexico we would usually get pizza with green chile on it. We would have the usual pig parts, olives, tomato sauce, cheese etc on there as well. Green chile is vaguely like Ortega chili mentioned but it is much spicier. There are hot Ortega chilies in cans but I have not seen them outside of New Mexico.
Here in California you can get everything else on pizza except good green chile and and egg cracked on top.
Egg, corn, pork, mozzarella. Not a combination i’ve found being sold anywhere, so I only have it when I make my own. Otherwise i’m fine with a basic pepperoni.
I tried a pizza once that used barbequeue sauce instead of the tomato. It may have just been bad sauce (I normally love barbequeue) but it was horrible.
OK I gotta admit I’m from Chicago so maybe a bit spoiled, but I just had Imo’s pizza for the first time and my reaction was “How dare they use Cheese Wiz on my pizza!”.
Pepperoni is the correct answer (or cheese) for your base pizza. Also accepted are green peppers (if you dig em), onions, mushrooms, and italian sausage (if you dig that).
Anything else is subject to my scrutiny.
Why mine? Because I’m a fucking pizza conossieur and I may have possibly eaten more pizza than anyone else in this thread.
My pedigree cannot be disputed. All of you followers of the False Pizza (I’m looking at you, pineapple) must go and repent.
Personally I’m a sausage, pepperoni and extre cheese fan myself…but for some reason my fellow New Mexican’s love green chilli and pineapple pizza quite a bit. I’m not opposed to it myself, I just don’t see what the fuss is…and as I said, I like the old stand by I listed above. There really aren’t too many good pizza places out here unfortunately…the only real think I miss about living on the east coast was getting decent pizza.
[QUOTE=xtisme]
Personally I’m a sausage, pepperoni and extre cheese fan myself…but for some reason my fellow New Mexican’s love green chilli and pineapple pizza quite a bit. I’m not opposed to it myself, I just don’t see what the fuss is…and as I said, I like the old stand by I listed above. There really aren’t too many good pizza places out here unfortunately…the only real think I miss about living on the east coast was getting decent pizza.
-XT
[/QUOTE]
Can you really say you are from New Mexico spelling it chilli? Back to Texas with you.
[QUOTE=Beware of Doug] Chilli is actually the preferred spelling in British English. Then again, they Brits aren’t known for their chil(l)i.
Now Provel…what’s that? Provolone flavor Velveeta?
[/QUOTE]
There is chili or chile. Chile refers to the chile pepper fruit it self. Chili refers to a tasty stew like object made with dried red chile pods meat beans and tomatoes. Although there is a lot of controversy about the beans.
I have not seen a pizza with chili on it but in a world where you can get a fried won ton pizza I am sure someone makes it.
[QUOTE=Least Original User Name Ever]
Why mine? Because I’m a fucking pizza conossieur and I may have possibly eaten more pizza than anyone else in this thread.
[/QUOTE]
There’s a man I’ve heard of who lives in Kingston, name of Mike. All he has to do is pick up the phone, say “It’s Mike,” and hang up. Ten minutes later his pizza arrives.
Unless you’re Mike, your credentials are hereby disputed.
[QUOTE=Shecky]
In northeastern Brazil, they favor green olives, heart of palm (sliced very thin), egg, diced onion, corn, and ham.
Oh, and they use the worst tasting cheeses. It tasted HORRIBLE.
[/QUOTE]
Also popular in Brazil: calabresa sausage, catupiry (a creamy, mild white cheese, often liquid in consistency) and beef or chicken stroganoff.
It may have been catupiry you had that you didn’t like; I didn’t find the mozzarella in Brazil to be markedly different from that available here in the U.S.
[QUOTE=ralph124c]
Feta cheese on pizza is DISGUSTING-the same goes for :chicken, corn, eggs (UGGHH!), and gorgonzola. I repeat: pizza should have only: tomato sauce, mozzarella, basil, and a sprinkling of oregano!
[/QUOTE]
Pizza is one of those things that tends to arouse the passions and polarize the masses, I guess. Feta cheese is one of my favorite pizza toppings. (It probably helps to really like feta.) And while I enjoy the occasional pizza in its “pure form” as you describe, I also like a good topping-heavy abomination now and then. A glutton’s palate knows no bounds.
I loved the Cheese Steak Pizza in Philly. Not the abomination that came from places like Dominos, but the local stuff that was provolone and steak and onion on a pizza base.
Not traditional pie by any means (count me as a Geno’s man for that, and fie on the New Yorkers), but yummy.
[QUOTE=Vinyl Turnip]
Pizza is one of those things that tends to arouse the passions and polarize the masses, I guess. Feta cheese is one of my favorite pizza toppings. (It probably helps to really like feta.) And while I enjoy the occasional pizza in its “pure form” as you describe, I also like a good topping-heavy abomination now and then. A glutton’s palate knows no bounds.
[/QUOTE]
There’s a little Greek cafe here that serves a roasted Feta appetizer. It’s simply a couple of big slabs of feta roasted with kalamata olives and red peppers in a pool of olive oil… meant to be eaten with toasted bread. It smells amazing!
I imagine this dish would translate perfectly to the top of a grilled pizza.
[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
Oh c’mon, AudreyK. You know that anything that has had pineapple in the same room with it is, by default, ‘Hawaiian’. Wouldn’t the true Hawaiian Pizza have Spam and pineapple on it? Which, oddly, sounds kinda tasty. (Note: I have not had lunch yet).
[/QUOTE]
And all salads with mandarin oranges and almonds are “Asian”, eh?
I have had Spam on pizza, though it wasn’t just Spam on the pie. It was one of those elaborate meat-lovers’ deals that had about 12 different animal-derived toppings on it. Pretty much any salty meat can work on a pizza, but Portuguese sausage is better than Spam. Spam doesn’t have the right color, taste, or texture to make it work.